I need help choosing a Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hypeofflyfe, Jul 22, 2013.

1. hypeofflyfe macrumors newbie

Hi, I want to know what would you recommend to a college student who does mild cs6 work and I movie and is thinking about running windows 7?
    Right now I'm thinking about getting and air but the screen on the retina is winning me over. Ik that the new update should come out in oct but I'm not sure if I can hold off. I am currently using a late 2010 air that is beginning to show it's age.

So what would be your Mac. Configuration that you would recommend to last me a while?
    Also what type of Accessories are you using?

Thanks for your help

2. bill-p macrumors 65816

MacBook Air 13" with Haswell processor.

Battery lasts forever... and performance is good enough to hold you over. Even in Windows 7.

The screen... well, not Retina-level, but honestly, it doesn't matter either way if you're going to run Windows, because no version of Windows (definitely not even 8.1) properly supports Retina resolution. You can use DPI scaling to some extent, but most applications (sadly including the Adobe CS6 suite) don't support such high DPI settings well.

If you go Retina, you get a nice screen, but working with that resolution in Windows is an exercise in frustration and futility.

Now if you didn't say "Windows 7", then I would have said MacBook Pro Retina 13" (but wait for Haswell either way).

As for accessories... I'm not sure what you want. Personally, I think accessories are just extra. You don't really "need" any of such accessories to make your MacBook work the way you want it to. Perhaps maybe the only exception is the USB Superdrive if you want to watch old DVD movies?

3. scbond macrumors 6502

All the machines on offer will run those things just fine. Obviously higher specs. means better performance at running them but that doesn't mean the base models can't. It's down to your preference on which machine to get but I would say that if you were looking for a more capable machine than a base model Air then the first thing to consider is more storage space.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Buying a Mac to strictly run windows on it is like buying a Ferrari to go grocery shopping. It'll work, but you're grossly overpaying.

Why don't you buy a nice Lenovo?