I need help choosing a new display for my MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lukefinch, Feb 19, 2010.

1. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

So i want a new display for my 2.13GHz non-unibody Macbook. I am currently using a 19" HP monitor at a resolution of 1440x900 however i would like a new monitor with a higher resolution at around 22"-26".

I would just go and buy an Apple 24" Display however you cannot use them with a Macbook due to the lack of a Mini Display Port which i, and a lot of others, think is very strange. I'd have thought they would have made some sort of adapter for it but thats just me.

Anyway, I know next to nothing about computer monitors and displays and really need some help in choosing the right one. So i would like a monitor at around 22"-26" with a resolution of 1440x900 or above as long as the screen doesn't become stretched and wired. I would also like it to be nice and sharp and vibrant. I would also like the screen to be fairly mac like e.g silver/alluminium & black.

I have no specific budget but id rather it not be stupidly expensive. So can you guys and girls recommend anything for me because i am completely clueless???

2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

What you're looking for isn't really available.

I can recommend monitors along the same quality or better as the Apple displays for less $$$.

However they wont be aluminum in styling.

24" keep in mind these drop in price on a regular basis, and youll have to check the price for the UK sites as well but its a good ips panel

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8277

If that $$$ is too high here is a cheaper (albeit smaller alternative, but also IPS)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...detail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=2209WA5

Your best bet if those do not have the style your looking for is to wait for a referubished apple monitor to pop up in the store.

3. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

4. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

You can not compare those HP panels to the Apple displays whatsoever.

Most of those will be TN displays, HP does have a few IPS displays but they are much higher in price.

Info on IPS can be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#In-plane_switching_.28IPS.29

The jist of it is that IPS is a much higher quality panel, has better color reproduction, and better viewing angles.

All Apple displays use IPS panels, hence the high price.

You can get similar quality from the models I listed for a bit of a savings in $$$

Trying to compare a TN panel to an IPS panel is like comparing a Pinto to a BMW :p

5. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

Thanks for the info about the IPS panels. Could you please tell me how the IPS panels are better quality and if they are worth the extra money if i am only going to be looking at it from directly in front?

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

You don't need an IPS monitor unless you are a professional thats needs color accuracy or just picky. TN monitors are fine and not everyone need IPS.

7. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Once you look at IPS all day its impossible to go back:D

OP specifically mentioned Apple displays in the original post, I wanted to make recommendations that were of the same caliber.

If looking at a ****** cheap panel all day doesn't bother you, than have at it.

Hell, even the iPad has an IPS panel.

For color reproduction alone its worth it IMO.

Frankly the IPS screen on my Quad Core iMac is a gorgeous thing look at day in day out ;-)

8. illibball087 macrumors regular

go ips ive had all the hp line (2009m, 2159m, and 2338h) and although they arent bad they didnt come close to the dell 2209wa i had and i will eventually get the u2410

9. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

HA! glad ive got someone else on board here.

A good IPS panel should last you for years to come. Its a worthwhile investment IMO.

10. alexh123drum macrumors member

11. alexh123drum macrumors member

What would you say is the best way to connect the second monitor you linked to (the cheaper one) to a 2009 macbook pro via the mini display port?

12. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Thiiiiiiissssssss

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

There may be better aftermarket solutions, but that is straight from Apple so it should work just fine!

EDIT!

Here is a cheaper one that actually has better reviews

http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Female-Adapter-Macbook-Laptop/dp/B002HU7O2S

13. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

Thanks for hijacking my thread!

Looks like im going with an IPS panel then because i do use the computer a lot, around 5 hours per day. I am now thinking of setting myself a budget of under £250/$400ish. Do you people know of any monitors with built in USB ports, that would really come in handy because at the moment i am using a USB hub and its kind of messy to look at. Im a bit OCD with wires around and on my desk :D

14. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

the 22" dell IPS I suggested to you has 4 USB ports

15. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I used to think this until recently. I have a Dell 2209WA at home on my Mini. I had an old style 23" ACD at work connected to my Macbook Pro until it died recently. It got replaced with a 22" Dell that was a different model from the 2209WA (can't remember the model number...something like 2208WFP?) and it is a TN panel. I have noticed a difference between the two. The colors on my home monitor seem richer and not as faded out. I have also noticed a big difference in viewing angles. The work monitor also isn't as bright as the 2209WA.

You are correct, though, that most people can't tell any difference. The only reason I noticed is that I have similar systems and similar monitors, so I noticed when something was different. I don't know that most people need to pay the extra for the difference. I personally like the Dell Ultrasharps for the warranty, the USB ports, and the height/tilt/pivot adjustments. It annoys me how many monitors don't have that kind of adjustibility, and how much extra those features cost.

16. lejamhoney macrumors newbie

SO glad this thread is here.... I too am in a similar situation.

Q'n- If IPS monitors are better than TN, where do LCD's fit in? I was looking at Acer's and they are all LCD.
    http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif
    Also, I want really good blacks without any funky colour distortions, any tips?