I need help deciding on subjects for portrait paintings

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by toddsimon, May 28, 2016.

?

Subjects

1. The Bride (Kill Bill) Jules Winfield

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Walt and Jesse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bob Marley and Kurt Cobain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dark Knight and Joker (Heath Ledger)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. toddsimon macrumors member

toddsimon

I am having a local artist paint 2 stylistic portrait paintings to hang above my sofa and am deciding on who to have him paint. Looking for opinions. Thanks!!!

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Let me get this straight: You (that is, you, yourself, the OP) plan to have - or have arranged to - have a local artist paint stylistic portraits to hang over your sofa, and you are looking for 'opinions' on whose portrait (out of a number of selected names, or characters from movies, or stories) you should choose.

I confess myself astounded at this request.

Actually, the thread gives the impression that you are totally devoid of agency, or personal preferences.

Look: If you are choosing a work of art - of any description - the first criterion - and the main criterion - is whether or not you could live with it, and whether you respond to it sufficiently to wish to live with it.

That is very different from simply liking something, or admiring it, or respecting it. There are some artists whose work I admire, but I would never choose to live with it.

Then, there is the subject matter: Again, there are some subjects, or characters, I might like, but not ever on my walls, or in my personal space.

Therefore, before tendering any advice, one would need to know more about your own personal preferences.

Of those characters you have listed, why did you choose these characters, and not others? What about them appeals to you? Do they each appeal to different facets - or moods - of your own character?

Once you start answering some of these questions, it will be easier to give you advice on whose visage should adorn your walls.