I need help deciding which Mac Pro to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macaddict23, Jan 25, 2009.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Current Mac: Dual-Core 2GHz PM G5/250GB/4.5GB/6600LE + 30" ACD

Profession: Graphic Designer using CS3--mainly InDesign and Photoshop. I do a ton of page layouts. I occasionally deal with 100 to 250MB PSD files.

Reasons for upgrading:
    Intel platform due to faster speed, upcoming 10.6 with no PPC support, run Parallels.

My G5 is still under Applecare for another month, but I've decided to finally sell it while it's still working.

Questions:

1) What's a fair asking value for my G5?

2) Should I buy one of the older Mac Pros now? If so, which one? Or wait for a refresh, and then buy a refurb? I have a Dual 1GHz Quicksilver G4 + older 23" Cinema which I can use until Apple updates the mac pro line.

3) The current 24" iMac is tempting, but I can't work with the glossy screen. I'm also looking at the 24" iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 (white model with built-in iSight. Does anyone know if this model has the logic board problems that plagued so many of iMac G5s?

4) If I buy the current 24" iMac, can I can I hook my 30" ACD and go with a dual-monitor setup? Or am I limited to a 23"?
    Thanks!

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

1) Check eBay completed auctions, craigslist and the marketplace here.

2) I'd wait in your situation.

3) can't answer

4) iMacs can't power 30" displays at more than a 1280x800 resolution (native is 2560x1600).

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And then buy THAT, not a refurb... unless they'd be too much for you.

4. kolax macrumors G3

1. $500-800 seems to be the average selling price on eBay. Depends on condition etc.

2. The Mac Pro's have been rumoured for a refresh for a long time and January at MWSF was the ideal time, but we saw nothing.

3. There is matte coverings (anti-glare film) you can buy for it, but whether that'll be sufficient enough is up to you.

4. You can - you'll need a Mini DVI to Dual-Link DVI (I can't find any in the Apple Store..), but there must be a cable somewhere.

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I would wait for the next revision. The other questions have been answered.

my 3 cents

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There wasn't the hardware to upgrade them with in January.

7. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Take my advice and sell your G5 on craigslist. You do not pay any listing fees, don't have to ship the item or worry about fraudulent buyers. Likewise, I am sure a buyer, I know I do, would rather see the computer up close and make sure there are no scratches, etc and perhaps even ask that the item be plugged in to see if it even turns on to begin with.

I sold my iMac Power PC on craigslist and the transaction went very smoothly, it did help I guess that the young man I sold it to was going into a seminary...:)

I purchased my Mac Pro one year ago and I am very happy with it. If a revision is close at hand, you may want to wait just for the heck of it, otherwise, I am EXTREMELY happy with my son, Macca Pro...:)

8. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

I'm also looking at getting a laptop as an option. I've heard that the MacBook Pros are much faster than my current G5s. My old college has these two discontinued, but new-in-box, MBPs:

15.4" MBP 2.5GHz/250GB/2GB for $1299

17" MBP 2.5GHz/250/2GB for $2099

What's nice is that both can hook up to my current 30".

Which of the two is a better deal?

9. Horst Guest

The 15" is a much better deal, assuming it's one of the 2008 models.
    Don't expect it to be much faster than your G5, though - been there, used both.

10. HBOC macrumors 68020

i think the only main difference is the screen quality and screen real estate.. Only you can decide if the screen size difference is worth $800, and if you are going to be using it "on the go", more so than at home with an external monitor.

I personally was going to get an iMac 3.08 GHZ originally, but decided that a MBP would be better suited for me. I am soo happy i went with the MBP. I decided on the 15.4" because i would be doing major work on a calibrated external huge screen. You can always work on stuff on the 15.4 and then edit it later on an external.

11. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Im not sure how you can realistically consider a Mac Pro, iMac, and a MacBook Pro to do the same task, if the MacBook Pro will do, then surely the Mac Pro is overkill?

Which one do you really need? Professional work and keeping it for 4 years plus, i would go for the Mac Pro.

13. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Okay. The iMac route if out of the question. What I'm hoping for is for the MacBook Pro to replace my G5 without affecting my productivity. Another advantage of having just a laptop, is so I can use it for client meetings.