I need help diagnosing a 2008 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Mad Hatter, May 31, 2014.

1. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

I'm having trouble figuring out what is wrong with my 08 MBP (the one just before the uni-bodies).

For some reason it won't startup. I hit the power button, and it sound like it normally does, then gives a slight electronic squeak/chirp and dies. Note, this sound only happens once before dying (as I have read of some MBPs from this era making a repeated sound).

So far I've tried the SMC reset, the PRam reset, and have even tried reseating my RAM chips. So far, no joy. Also, the HD seems fine, as I pulled it, so I could clone it.

So I come here, with my hat in hand, asking for any insight into my problem before I make that inevitable (and probably costly) reservation at the Apple Store.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

tMH

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's really such a lack of detail being reported by the computer I think your only option is to head over to apple, though I suspect it may be more cost efficient to buy another computer then repair a 6 year old one.

3. coldwaves macrumors regular

Will the display show anything? If possible, maybe you can try to use the Apple Hardware Test by holding D after pressing the power button. This is a light stress test on the hardware. If it is possible to do this, it might give you some clues.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It may be the infamous NVIDIA 8600GT failure.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

All of these computers are prone to graphics failures as mentioned above which makes getting them repaired a questionable value.
    Unfortunately, Apple won't repair these anymore, unless you're in California or Turkey, as they're now on Apple's "vintage" equipment list. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1752

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your GPU, the 8600GT is a known ticking time bomb. A manufacturing defect makes them all fail.

Your logicboard needs replacing or reflowing.

7. The Mad Hatter thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

No, the comp doesn't even get to the point where the display comes on, before it shuts down.

8. The Mad Hatter thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

As to yjchua95, chrfr, snaky69... Since it seems the popular opinion is that my graphics cards has gone the way of the dodo (and that being a non-user replaceable part), I think I'll save myself the cost of an Apple diag fee, and into a new MBP. Thanks for the info guys (and/or gals).

At least I can use the bad one for possible parts for my wife's MBP that is the release just prior to mine (ie. display hinges, RAM, maybe even the keyboard/trackpad).

Does that sound like a viable option?

9. chrfr macrumors 603

Probably the best option, though some of the parts may or may not directly transfer. If hers has the same Nvidia GPU as yours then all the internals are the same and you'll have no trouble.
    I'm not sure that yours has had a GPU failure but I wouldn't put any money into it, in any case.

10. The Mad Hatter thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

I see your point. I was actually already planning on upgrading MBP, but the plan was to pass mine to the wife. Who knew that hers was built better than mine. #

I already started the transfer. I switched out my OWC 6GB RAM upgrade, and put back in the original 2GB chips. Now my wife's comp has a much needed boost.

My current dilemma is buy the current Crystalwell processor or wait for Broadwell?

11. coldwaves macrumors regular

I think this is the best option. You can keep it for parts for your wife's MBP or you can sell the parts on eBay if you don't want to keep it. The display, if it is still good, is worth something.

You can go to the Genius bar in a Apple store and let them do a test. I don't think they charge you anything for the simple test. It is most likely the failing graphic card but if you want to get an opinion from Apple, you can definitely take it to the store.

12. The Mad Hatter thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Thank you for the insight.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Fully agreed. Get a free diagnostic at the Apple Store if possible. I can not imagine a business case for investing hundreds in repairs for a 6 year old computer. Instead put that money into a good refurb unit from Apple that comes with full warranty. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Of course always check the AppleInsider price list for an specials. http://prices.appleinsider.com