I need help finding a device

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dontwalkhand, Nov 26, 2009.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

A friend is going to go hiking the Pacific Crest trail, and needs a device that will use GPS to track her location, and post it up on a website (kind of like a journal).

She was originally thinking about buying an iPhone 3GS, but the problem is, there is no AT&T service for large portions of the trail. Also, I don't know of any apps that would do this type of GPS reporting for her site. Also, it is none too durable for what the trail will endure.

What can you guys recommend for a trip like this, as well as to be able to post journal entries to a website.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, there's nothing that I know of that will post it automatically, and I doubt it would work since posting it live while you're there would require cellular service, which you said is pretty much non existent, but I use this for tracking where I am so I can go back and geotag photos. It'll keep a log of where you are, and when she gets back, she can work with it. I don't know how you can get a google map track of it on your website though, I don't use mine for that purpose.

3. Galarina macrumors member

Galarina

My GeoLogTag iPhone app is designed to track your location and to use that info afterwards to geotag photos taken during the trip.
    GeoLogTag can email/export a GPX file that contains all locations. GPX is an open standard used by all popular track/geotag/... applications.