I need help fixing my master boot record(MBR)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bobbywillmes, Oct 27, 2009.

1. bobbywillmes macrumors newbie

I am running OSX 10.5.8. A little while ago I successfully Boot-Camped my hard drive and installed Windows 7, but i recently got a new hard drive. I copied over my OSX partition successfully, but didn't copy over the Windows partition. On my new drive I went through the boot camp assistant and created a partition and inserted the Windows 7 disc. But when it restarts, it just seems to hang there- it's just a black screen with a blinking white underscore(_).
    I have been told that because I copied over my OSX partition it didn't set up the MBR on the new disk, is their any way to fix this? (besides doing a clean install of OSX)
    Are there any software or guides available to help me fix this?

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    This someone who told you this is mistaken. There is no MBR needed to have a BootCamp partition. My disk has a GUID partition table and I have a bootcamp partition running. That's the default.

I don't know though why your disk does not boot. Did you check your installation CD ? Is it really bootable ? Is it the one you used for installing your BT before ?

Tex.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you clone or "copy" your OSX partition. I'd recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner to get your new drive to be a mirror image of the original.

I'd then run bootcamp and reinstall your windows OS.

4. bobbywillmes thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am sure the disk is bootable. i used that same disc with my old hard drive and was able to boot from is successfully.

5. bobbywillmes thread starter macrumors newbie

Is anybody else able to get some kind of an answer? I have looked and looked, but I must not be looking in the right place for an answer.
    I am sure it's not just the Windows disc. I've used it before for the same exact purpose, and it was successful.
    :confused: