I need help from someone familiar with linux

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMaccore2, May 12, 2008.

1. iMaccore2 macrumors regular

Ok, i want to install a linux distro on my iMac with bootcamp, if this is possible. All i want is a desktop like the one in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

If anyone can tell me how to get this to work, i would be very grateful

Thanks in advance

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you asking for help on ...

- How to install Ubuntu on a Mac
    - How to make the Ubuntu desktop look like the video
    - How to make all your actions sync to the music of Ini Kamoze?

;)

Here is a thread about how to get Ubuntu on a Mac while keeping OS X:

http://www.backports.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=600246

You can get those effects from pretty much any distribution of Linux. Ubuntu Desktop 8.04 (Hardy Heron) would be my recommended starting point. You'll have to add the dock; the rest of the effects can be configured using an advanced preference pane for fine-tuning compiz (the compositor that produces most of the effects you saw).

And if you you do sync it to Ini Kamoze, make sure you swish your butt to the rhythm. It's not optional.

3. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, i hope to do all three, and i promiss to swish my butt to the rythm of my bose companion three's thanks for the help. Any other advice is welcome,
    thanks

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No prob. It'll be easier to explain configuring Compiz once you have Ubuntu (or whatever) installed, so go ahead and work on that first.

When you have Ubuntu installed, go ahead and run updates, etc, and then use the add/remove item in the main menu. Use the search tool to search for a package called Ubuntu Restricted Extras, which will give you basic codec access, and more relevantly, if you search for "compiz," you'll find the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings tool. After you install it, there will be a System -> Preferences -> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings item that will give you a compiz configurator.

5. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Yeah beryl is no longer supported. Any distro you use will be able to run it. Ubuntu would probably be the easiest if you are not familiar with linux.

6. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

I got ubuntu installed, but i cant connect to my wireless network. In Network settings wireless isnt even an option. Some help please?

I am typing this in os x

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan