I need help getting back regular login page.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mars2010, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Mars2010 macrumors member

I set up an external hard drive last night; I partitioned it so that half was for Time Machine and half was for storage. I unplugged the HD and transferred songs from an old computer to the external HD, then I plugged it back into the MBP; everything seemed okay. The next time the machine was turned on, I found that the regular users login page has disappeared and in its place is space for one user named "Other" and a password. I tried my normal name and password and it didn't accept it. Did I do something wrong when I set up the hard drive? Is this a simple fix? I'll give Applecare a call tomorrow if I can't fix it tonight.

Just noticed I posted this in the Mac Pro forum instead of the MBP one! Maybe someone here can help...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Mars2010 thread starter macrumors member

spinnerlys,

Thanks for responding. My regular user name and password doesn't work. I am the administrator and I know I'm typing in the correct password. There seems to be no other option than to type in a user name and password for the "Other" account...all the regular user accounts (mine, my daughter's, etc...) have disappeared.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But are they visible via the steps I linked to?
    Is there another Mac OS X installation connected to your Mac?

5. Mars2010 thread starter macrumors member

This only happened after I connected the external hard drive. Do you suggest I change or reset my password? I can't get to the apple menu. The only thing on the startup screen is a box with one user named "Other" with an icon next to it, and the options to go back, restart and shut down. Do I need to use my MacOSX disc? Again, thanks for your help.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, you need to use the grey Restore DVD or a Retail version of Mac OS X to fulfil the steps I linked to in my first reply.

7. Mars2010 thread starter macrumors member

Okay. I have the disc and will give it a try. Hope it works.

8. Mars2010 thread starter macrumors member

spinnerlys,

The only user is the system administrator (root), there is no normal administrator option. In your link, it says not to confuse the two.

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Wait, you can get into the root account? If so, just log in as root, open System Preferences, and go fix everything up in the Accounts pane.

10. Mars2010 thread starter macrumors member

The instructions spinnerlys linked to said NOT to touch the root account.

I called applecare this morning and am in the process of reinstalling the OS. I think the software in the new external hard drive corrupted the hard disk. It was an iomega ego one; I think I'll be taking it back to the store. I don't want this kind of trouble again; it completely wiped out the admin account...the applecare tech hadn't encountered something like this before.

Thanks for all the help.