I need help getting Mac os x on my powerbook (lombard)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maccam, Aug 16, 2007.

1. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Hello fellas!!

Ok, so I bought a powerbook g3 (lombard) and I need to get os x on it.
    I don't have a firewire hard drive enclosure, but I do have a usb one.
    The powerbook does not have a dvd drive (trying to avoid buying one).
    Nor does the PB have firewire. So any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. Doctor X macrumors newbie

Errmmmm . . . I am concerned how well your G3 is going to handle it, particularly the later versions of OS X.

You might be able to find a cheap DVD player for the Lombard on Ebay, but, I have to ask, why are you bothering if you are going to get a more modern computer?

Heck, if you act soon, you can get one for under $20 on Ebay.

--J.D.

3. maccam thread starter macrumors 6502a

maccam

I bought this PB to fix it up (I was board!!), it was as-is and I got for $33 all it needed was a hard drive and an ac adapter.

The ebay item you have listed is a cd drive. And also these things run panther and tiger just fine.

4. Doctor X macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Er . . . okay . . . I should have realized that. I have an old DVD drive and poked about after that, and you can get one for . . . $25! :D

I will take your word for it. I upgraded mine awhile ago to the G4 so I do not know how slow the G3 will be. I have been told it is noticeably slower, but I use mine for browsing, playing music, writing papers, Powerpoint, and other stuff. So you may not notice much of a problem, particularly if you maximize the RAM to 1 Gig.

--J.D.

5. maccam thread starter macrumors 6502a

maccam

Does that dvd drive play cd's as well? Thanks for your help!
    Oh, I will be selling this PB, I'm not going to keep it.

6. Doctor X macrumors newbie

No problem, I am devoted to my little Pismo. Apparently you can get--for ~$100 +/- DVD burners and other wild stuff. Anyways, to answer your question: "yes." As you reminded me, there WERE older PBs--prior to Pismo--that had just the CD drive. Maybe Pismo had that initally, I forget. To my knowledge all of the DVD drives play CDs--the Pismo is rather useless without it!! The old OS 9 disks are CDs!

I have a friend who wants to "walk from the darkness into the light" from her PC to a Powerbook who would love to have a Pismo. I did my upgrades over the life of the computer. The problem--as you probably know--is to upgrade it NOW is ~$300-400 for a G4 Processor, 1 Gig RAM, and a 100 Gig HD. Most people are going to take that, add a bit, and get a more advanced computer.

Anyways, the good news is that I have a lower-end DVD drive that loves OS X. During the OS 9 upgrades the DVD drivers would not always work--you had to hack--Apple said "sod-off." Once I got OS X--DVDs and CDs play beautifully. So anyone interested in buying it you can reassure that they can play movies and certainly music with no problems.

So . . . I think you will need that for OS X. It use to be that you could NOT boot a Pismo on anything BUT an the internal CD/DVD drive--unless you are a tech-head. That can be a real pain for someone if they have a problem or want to do basic maintenance with Disk Warrior/Tech Tools/ or even reboot on a 9 CD or X DVD without the internal DVD player. Most likely, someone wanting to buy it will want a DVD player in it for that reason. RAM, HD, all of that? That is up to them!

--J.D.

7. brianus macrumors 6502

Also bear in mind that the Lombards will only go as far as Panther, unless you use one of those hacks for getting OS X on machines it wasn't meant for.

8. maccam thread starter macrumors 6502a

maccam

Okay, I think i'll just get a dvd drive, I noted that there are dvd drive that say "Apple DVD-Rom drive 6x" and there's also "Apple DVD/CD-Rom drive 6x/24x"
    I guess i'll take a chance.

Upgrading this PB to a g4 500mhz processor would be insane, like you said it cost $400. So if you add everything up it be: $50 for the PB, $400 for the upgrade, $30 for the ram and $65 for the hard drive. It comes to $545, you could almost buy a MacBook for that much! I got a nice PB though, the specs are 333mhz, 256mb of ram, and I put in a 40gb hard drive. I got EVERYTHING for just under $100 :D By the way the PB lombard's only hold 512mb of ram, the pismo's hold a 1gb of ram. Again thanks for your help, you're a nice um... guy?

9. maccam thread starter macrumors 6502a

maccam

Thats what I'm going to do, is panther.

10. Doctor X macrumors newbie

You keep writing "Lombard" . . . my brain keeps seeing "Pismo!"

Yeah, it would be insane to upgrade to processor on a Lombard! Actually, at this stage it would be insane to upgrade a Pismo unless you can--sometimes--find the processor cheap on Ebay and the like!

--J.D.

11. maccam thread starter macrumors 6502a

maccam

Well I bought it!! I'll find out if it's good!!

12. Doctor X macrumors newbie

What? I know nothing! Who are you!!!!

:D

Should be fine. Good luck!

--J.D.

13. maccam thread starter macrumors 6502a

maccam

Well it better be fine, or it's your fault :p

I'll post again in a few days, when I get the drive.

14. maccam thread starter macrumors 6502a

maccam

Well I got the DVD drive (it's also CD) yesterday, and it works great! Come to find out it actually had 320mb of ram instead of 256, so I'm happy! I installed Mac os 10.2.8 instead of panther. Here is a picture of the PowerBook:

P.S Thanks for all your help Doctor X

Attached Files: