I need help.. how do I update...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tm0000, Dec 13, 2014.

1. tm0000 macrumors regular

Hi everyone, :)

I have a really dumb question that I'm embarrassed to ask.. but I just can't figure out how to update safari to the latest version! :eek:

I have a rMBP 2014. I checked the app store updates section, but I don't see it there. I have version 8.0 right now.

Thanks so much for your help.

2. 0xyMoron macrumors 6502

Are you sure?
    It should be under software update if you click on "More" it should show a list of updates you can download..

[​IMG]

3. tm0000 thread starter macrumors regular

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I haven't seen any direct download links for the Safari 8.0.2 update - so it's only supplied through your Software Update, in the App Store.
    Try restarting your Mac, then check your App Store again.
    If not, be patient. Perhaps it takes a few hours (or a day or two) for the updates to propagate throughout the internet.

There's another method to check for available updates through your terminal, if you want to try that, too.
    http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_software_update

5. tm0000 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried restarting and I've been waiting since yesterday.. I guess all I can do is wait.
    Thanks!

6. tm0000 thread starter macrumors regular

I still don't see the upgrade in the app store! :( Can someone please help?

7. tm0000 thread starter macrumors regular

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

9. tm0000 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I could try that method.. or I could download from a website like macupdate.com

But, I was just wondering why the app store isn't showing the update?
    Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks!

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Safari update is not available as a separate download from anywhere else,
    the only normal source is through the App Store.
    The terminal command that you see at the link will physically check for updates directly through your internet connection. Any updates that are available will then download as part of that command. Keep in mind that it may take a few minutes before any updates are listed and installed. Wait it out for 5 or 10 minutes.

11. tm0000 thread starter macrumors regular

The terminal window method didn't work either! :(

I have safari 8.0.. How can I download the latest version? Please help!

12. tm0000 thread starter macrumors regular

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What do you mean that the terminal method didn't work?
    Do you mean that nothing at all happened, and the command never completed?
    Or, did the command complete, but found no updates to install?

If the softwareupdate command completed (even if you didn't get the update that you want), that's pretty much all you can do from your location with updating from Apple's servers.
    The update has only been available for a few days, so continue to be patient - don't try to look too hard. You can occasionally open up your App Store/Updates

I really do understand about waiting for expected updates.
    You can't download that Safari update separately.
    You COULD (if you get really antsy) boot to the Yosemite installer, and reinstall the system. That would reload over what you have now, and nothing of yours would be removed. When that completes, the system will bring out a couple of updates that are reverted when you reinstall, and could (maybe) result in the Safari update that you really want.
    (but, it's some overkill to fix it that way - but if it makes you feel good, eh :D )

14. tm0000 thread starter macrumors regular

I left the terminal window open for more than 24 hours and it was stuck at "finding available software".
    I tried reinstalling the OSX and the update still isn't available in the app store!
    Something is definitely wrong. :(

15. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Launch App Store, then the Store menu/View My Account.
    Click "Reset all warnings for buying and downloading", then again in the Store menu/Check for Unfinished Downloads.
    Go to the Updates screen, and choose to download something - just as a test. I saw a variety of Apple Apps that you could choose. Pages would probably be the smallest download - just to see if THAT does download and install OK.
    Can you get OTHER software through the App Store? Does it work at all for you?
    If all else seems to function in App Store, but that minor Safari update still is missing - you could surely contact Apple Support to see if THEY have any suggestions that you haven't already tried.