"i Need Help" Major Choice With Only 2 Days Left In My 2.8 Octo Return Policy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MnkyPwz, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. MnkyPwz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #1
    :confused: So I am desperately in the need of opinions and suggestions from the community, and would greatly appreciate all opinions given.

    So here it is, I recently purchased the 2.8 Octo, addded 8 extra Gigs of ram which moved me to 10Gigs, bought the 8800gt upgrade, and wifi and wireless mouse a couple of days ago, and I am totally within my 14 day return policy, but I only have 2 more days left to ship it back for my refund.

    Since I only have a couple of days I don't have enough time to wait for benchmarks of the 2.26 octo vs. the 2.8 octo, and need to make a decision between the two.

    I can either stay with the 2.8 octo which is awesome don't get me wrong, or go to the 2.26 octo which I haven't used, and potentially decrease in performance which I don't want to do, hence my delima.

    But I truly wouldn't think that apple would, for more money release new architecture for more $$$ that would underperform the previous version.

    I am one who like having new Tech., hence me even attempting to swap models, but I don't want that in sacrifice of performance. I would just upgrade to the 2.66 octo but I cant afford the increase in price. But what do you guys think. Newegg accepted my ram return and I have a RMA so I wont have a problem swapping to the new ram, but I don't no what to do.

    do we think that the new Nehalem 2.26 octo can out perform the 2.8 Octo

    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

    -MnkyPwz-
    :confused:
     
  2. Ploki macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #2
    2,26 OCTO Nehalem will probably outperform 2,8 octo.

    however, GT120 is crappy comparing to 8800gt.
    so count +150$ for the ati gfx.
    memory is incompatible, so +200 for memory.

    so, the base machine is +500$, + 150 gfx, + 200 memory so you are on
    10gigs.
    ----
    + at least 850$. good for a used mbp. :)

    uhm, return the 2x2,8 octo and get one at DISCOUNT?! keep the 8800gt and 8gigs of ram and ram it in the new octo.
    theyreo down at least 20-30%.

    or you can just get a 2,26 octo and have the latest tech.
     
  3. numbersyx macrumors 65816

    numbersyx

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    #3
    Therein lies the problem. No one knows whether the new base octa will outperform the old 2.8 model. Unfortunately, for you, the real world benchmarks won't appear until after next week when the MPs have shipped.

    If I was a betting man, and from what I've read, I would probably say that there isn't going to be much in it between the two models and I would stick with what you have....
     
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #4


    Since you said you could not afford the increase then you need to keep what you have. I mean, you said it so why even ask? Will the new machines not yet ready for anyone to report on benchmarks out perform the old machines? Sure, they better due to increase price and updated architecture, but hey ... your 2.8 Octo is no slouch and I would simply keep it. Or do whatever that dude said ... return it and rebuy at a discount.

    Next time do not buy a new machine less than 14 days before a heavily rumored update. ;)
     
  5. kevink2 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
  6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #6
    Honestly at this point its no brainer. Just return the 2.8ghz octo for the 2.26ghz nehalem.

    Think about it this way, basically the 2.26ghz will equal the 3.2ghz octo and maybe even a bit faster on other benchmarks.

    Also might as well right since you CAN do it, when the benchmarks do come in and then you really want the 2.26ghz Mac Pro and its too late to return. Then you would have to sell the mac pro at a big loss.
     
  7. darthraige macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #7
    What do you plan on doing with all that power? I have the 2.8 8-Core and the machine is insane. I'm heavily into HD editing and graphics and have had no problem with this thing. The price jump to the the new ones are stupid. I wouldn't pay $3300 for it, although, the money I dropped into upgrades for this one would probably equal to $3300 or more. haha

    All depends on what you are doing with it. All I know is that when I bought the first round of 8-Cores I was having mad issues with it and had to exchange for a new one. So you may run into that problem with Nehalem.

    But like I said, I am 100% satisfied with Harpertown. I would keep it, abuse if for a year or two and get a new one then, when something really insane comes out.
     
  8. aibo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Southern California
    #8
    You'll have to wait for actual benchmarks, but I personally have major doubts the Nehalem 2.26GHz will outperform your Harpertown 2.8. Yes the architecture is faster. Yes the memory latency is 40% faster -- but when that translates to real-world performance its certainly not gonna be 40%... it will probably be negligable. Now take into account that the new machine has a 600MHz clock speed deficit to make up.
     
  9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

    thejadedmonkey

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Pa
    #9
    I've always been an ATI fan (even before nVidia's slew of issues). I didn't want to get the C2D macbook because the rumors of the SR Macbook pros were present, but I couldn't wait. I got my MBP with an ATI x1600 video card, and was happy. When Apple updated, I was like "I don't like nVidia, I'm glad I couldn't hold off". And I've been happy ever since.

    Just because it's not the newest doesn't mean it's not the best. Have you seen the price for the new iMac in the UK? I'd much rather have a previous gen iMac as it's better bang for buck.

    In the same manner, unless speed is THE MOST important thing to you, the previous gen Mac Pro is probably the best bang for buck. Also, because it's at the end of its lifespan, Apple will have ironed out all of the kinks in the production line. I'd definitely keep the Mac Pro... but that's just me.
     
  10. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #10
    The 2.26 can probably beat the 2.8 in memory intensive tests, but generally they'll probably be pretty close. The 3.2Ghz model will not be beaten by the 2.26 in anything but memory tests.
     

Share This Page