I need help managing iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by odinsride, Jan 22, 2008.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I have 2 computers - a PC (used for gaming & internet/chat), and my MBP which I use for managing photos, recording music, and for my mobile needs.

I currently have all my music in iTunes on the MBP, and have been syncing that with my 160gb ipod classic which I connect to the PC for playback while gaming.

I would like to move my music to the PC and use that as my central iTunes machine. However, I'm not so sure I want to bring out the iPod everytime I want to listen to music while using my MBP.

My question: Is there a way to synchronize my itunes libraries across my PC and Mac? Ideally, I would like to do this, but keeping the two libraries in sync seems like it could be a headache.

Anyone else with a similar situation? How do you handle your music?

Thanks!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You could always turn on Music Sharing and share the library from whatever computer to the other.

3. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

The only thing about this is that when I want to listen to music on my MBP, I won't be at home most likely :p

And if I share it to my PC from the MBP, then my MBP has to be turned on whenever I want to listen to music...

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'll have to think about this one. It'll likely require the use of RsyncX, or somekind of Automator script. It'd be a little easier if it were 2 Macs (not a whole lot easier though).

5. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Was hoping the "easier if it were 2 macs" was going to have a disclaimer on it.

I'm going through the same thing right now. Got a new laptop, rebuilt my iTunes Library on it and now want to sync it back to the iMac. Easier said then done..

6. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

i can easily keep the files synced using pathsync for windows, but the problem is getting new files into itunes on the remote computer...

7. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

On second thought, I think I'll keep the MBP itunes library as the main library, since I sync my iPhone with everything on the mac. I'll use the PC as a clone of this library. I need some kind of utility that I can run on windows that will analyze my mac's music folder with my PC's music folder, and if it finds new things on the Mac, it will copy those to a separate empty folder so I can easily drag them into iTunes and have them be automatically copied to my PC's music folder. Am I making sense? There has to be a way to do this...

I wish there was a way to have iTunes monitor a folder for new music...it seems like every other media program can do that except iTunes

8. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

I found this command that uses rsync, but I'm not familiar with rsync so I need help.

It supposedly excludes the .xml file and .DS_Store files, and copies the music folder and itunes library file.

Code:
    rsync -avz --force --delete --stats --size-only -e ssh --exclude="iTunes Music Library.xml" --exclude=".DS_Store" ~/Music/iTunes/* user@desktop:'~/My\ Music/iTunes/'

This command was done for pushing the iTunes files to a linux box (user@desktop), but since I don't have a linux box, I want to just push them to my windows machine.

Would I simply need to mount the Windows itunes folder and change
    Code:
    user@desktop:'~/My\ Music/iTunes/'
    to
    Code:
    /Volumes/WindowsShare/My\ Music/iTunes/'
    ?

Also, if I want to eventually do this in an automator script, how can I mount/dismount a windows shared folder by command line?

Thanks