I need help... Old Tethered Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Want300, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Hey guys, I just got my old 3GS back from my girlfriend's brother, I let him have it while he was studying abroad in Spain.

He used a Tethered jailbreak to unlock the phone. Is there anyway I can get it to work without the software he used to tether the device? I cannot pull up the phone in iTunes. It is stuck on the Apple Logo.

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

try to use tinyumbrella to kick it out if its just in a loop, or ireb.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

have you put it into DFU mode?

3. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

What are the steps for DFU mode?

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

1. First, Open up iTunes, plug in your iPod Touch/iPhone to the CPU's USB port. Turn on your CPU's speaker and make sure it is loud enough that you can hear it.

2. Hold down the Home button (top left for iPod Touch and top right for the iPhone with the screen facing you) and the Power button (located on the front bottom of your iPod Touch/iPhone) simutaneously, until the screen goes black and the device turns off. (past the red slider/slide to power off screen)

3. Now let go of the Power button, but continue to hold the Home button. Your iPod Touch/iPhone should have turned off and the screen should not be on.

4. After around ~10-20 seconds, you will hear a noise (beep/ding) from your pc as if it had just recognized a new hardware device, now iTunes should recognize it in DFU mode.

5. After iTunes recognizes the iPod Touch/iPhone, let go of the Home button otherwise it will go into recovery mode and you will have to do the entire DFU process over again.

6. You will know when you have put your iPod Touch/iPhone correctly into DFU mode when the display is blank and that you do not have anything on your device.

that will allow you to restore it in itunes

5. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

Thanks. Got it to work.

----------

Futurama... The Best...

Dr. Zoidberg... The ABSOLUTE best.

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

glad it worked.

hahah hell yeah, gotta love zoidberg. You been watching the new season? zoidberg has some good ones in it

7. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

No, I have been in moving LIMBO... I packed up all my stuff, including my Tivo... And my condo has been undergoing renovations for 2 months... which I did not know was going to happen. So I haven't seen them yet.

I loved Silence of the Clamps in Season 6.

"My name isn't slick, It's Zoidberg. JOHN ********NG ZOIDBERG!!"

I laughed soo hard at that point.

8. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hahaha yesssss thats a great one.

i love how when hes talking about bender he says robot as rowbit. "leave the rowbit alone" etc

9. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

Zoidberg is hands down my favorite character.

New question for you. Maybe you can help. Are there any third party package sources that I should use with Cydia?

10. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

sure thing

11. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

With Tetherme... it says bluetooth does not work with iPad 2 (only USB)... does that mean u cannot tether to say a computer using your iPad 2... Or that I cannot tether my iPhone 4S to my iPad 2?

12. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i believe yuo can not ether the ipad 2 to the iphone 4s. you should be able to use your ipad 2s connection on the computer via USB.

I wonder why you cant. My ipad 3rd gen works fine with bluetooth, wifi and usb

13. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

New problem... Got my iPhone into DFU mode... Come to find out, he had been using my iPhone 3G, not my old 3GS (figured this out earlier, but when I thought it was working, it was a moot point)... I have tried to restore it three times, each time it fails quoting me error 1015 (I think).

I have tried on my work computer. But iTunes is not current version, so I switched to MacBook Pro, which does have current version of iTunes. Still did not work. Can you help? I doubt Apple will help cuz it is so old.

It is sad... I know so much about electronics, especially televisions, home theater equipment, phones and computers. Yet, I dont at the same time. Compared to the Average Joe, I am a genius... Yet, compared to people who know more than me, I am an idiot. LOL

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

haha everyones good in their particular areas, so we alll feel like an idiot at somepoint

are you manually restoring the iphone to a specific ipsw?? (as in pointing it to a ipsw file) or just clicking restore and itunes is downloading the most current ipsw? the 1015 error usually happens when you are trying to restore to an earlier firmware.

EDIT* i wonder if the last person tried to unlick the 3gs with the ipad 6.15.00 baseband. do you know this? i think i read if you upgraded it to the custom ipad baseband for unlock, then upgraded the 3gs to a new firmeware without doing a custom one it will "brick" the phone

15. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

I am doing it through iTunes. I found out earlier it is my old 3G, not my 3GS. I was wrong, but I figured it a moot point to tell you when I got it into DFU mode and thought it was working.

On Apple's site, 1015 also refers to "unauthorized modification of iOS"... He jailbroke the phone... so i guess its that.

16. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah from my research means the 1015 has to do with the phone baseband being modified.

try making a custom ipsw with sn0wbreesze and restoring with that
    http://gbit.mirror.devkipz.us/sn0wbreeze-v2.9.6.zip

heres a tutorial.

try it out

http://forum.iphone-developers.com/...ery-loop-error-1015-itunes-iphone-3g-fix.html

17. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

My internet here is awful, and I do not have a sim card at the moment. So, the iphone IPSW will be downloaded in an hour, but I will be leaving then, so
    I will try it tomorrow.

Two more questions, you may have an answer, maybe not.

First, What should I do to get an ATT sim card. My plan was to have them carrier unlock it, is this still possible?

Second, It will be jailbroken again when I finish this, is it possible to un-jailbreak it after, or will I have the same disaster?

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yep they will unlock any phone off contract, if your baseband has been modified, i dont know if you can "unjailbreak" it.

To get an att sim i think you might have to pay for it, either at an att store, or just any cellphone store bestbuy, walmart sells them, radioshack etc.

What carrier are you trying to use your phone on?

19. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

I am going to do one of two things, keep it for my international travel with work, or sell it.

----------

Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

20. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

Downloaded all the stuff, followed the directions, got a free sim from my friend at an Apple store...

I got Error 1600... Apple claims it to a problem with the USB port or cable, so I tried changing ports. Did not help. Tried different iPod cable, did not help.

Now, I cannot get the phone to show up in iTunes. It is is PWNed DFU and stuck there. Advice? I do not want to randomly try things.

----------

How do I get out of PWNed DFU

UPDATE 1: Got out of PWNed DFU.

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

A simple reboot takes a phone out of DFU mode.
    It is probably in recovery mode
    Try using TinyUmbrella to kick it out

22. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

Thanks for your help.

Got the phone working again, FINALLY. Thanks again.

23. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

awesome ! what did you end up having to do?

24. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

I tried Snowbreeze but it did not work... So i used Redsn0w instead. Then it worked just fine.

You basically follow the instructions you gave me through that link... but you use Redsn0w instead...

And when you launch redsn0w:

- you click on extras
    - then click create custom IPSW
    - Select the proper one for your phone that you already downloaded
    - let it finish
    - then click on PWNed DFU
    - it will walk you through it
    - then shift click restore in iTunes.

I put the instructions to help the other person you linked to this thread.