I Need Help on Becoming Connectable (as a complete newb)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psycoswimmer, Apr 19, 2008.

1. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Hi everyone.

I've recently joined t3nnis.tv and have begun legally torrenting. I downloaded Azureus and had no trouble downloading tennis matches. However, a 1.0 (or higher) ratio must be kept on the site. I'm at 0.9 right now and need to be able to seed some matches and get my ratio back up. It says that I'm seeding two matches (that I've downloaded) but I'm not connectable. I've extensively googled and searched this topic but it's, for some reason, extremely confusing to me.

If anyone could help me understand how to become connectable or point me to some easy-to-understand sites/threads, I would greatly appreciate it.

My Setup:

Last Gen. White iMac w/ Tiger 10.4.11
    Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable Modem
    Wired Connection

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How can everyone have a 1.0 ratio :confused:, that means that everyone seeds exactly as much as they download with no variance. Asking for 0.9 seems to be asking a lot. But as you have clearly seeded before as its not 0.0 I'm not sure what the issue is...

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you go to system preferences -> network -> wired connection, do you have a "real" IP address (one that does not start with 192.168... or 10.0....)? If so, then probably the next thing you need to do is open up the ports on the Macbook that Azureus needs for this purpose. Instructions are here.

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Firewalling#Mac_OS_X

That *should* be it....

4. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

It needs to be 1.0 or higher. It's a pretty small community that now requires an invite and you're expected to seed as much as you download. The only way I've been keeping an okay ratio is by downloading sparsely and using my "bonus" points. Basically, I get points toward a good ratio just by seeding matches whether I'm connectable or not.

In "Built-in Ethernet", under TCP/IP, my IP Address starts with 74 so I'm assuming that it's "real"? I'll check the wiki site now.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, it should be. What that means / why I had you check it is that, since you are running a cable directly to your modem, it is bridging you to its IP address and not distributing IP addresses. So there shouldn't be any NAT or firewall at the modem level to deal with (if you had the 10.0... or 192.168... address, probably, there would be, and even if you opened the indicated port(s) in the OS X firewall, it still wouldn't work without forwarding them from the router also).

6. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I used a port in the 50,000's and the site now says I'm connectable. This was actually a lot simpler than I thought.

Thanks a ton mkrishnan.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah but the thing is that it isn't possible for everyone to have a ratio of 1.0 of higher, by definition 1.0 is the mean ratio, so it isn't possible without breaking the laws of mathematics for everyone to have a ratio greater than 1.0.

The only way in practice for the average member to have a ratio of over 1.0 is for a continual stream of new members to leach off you and leave as they can't get their ratio high enough.