I need help on which mac os x to use!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jHoope, Jan 24, 2011.

1. jHoope, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

jHoope macrumors newbie

Please Help me! i have a mac g3/900 with a 384mb of RAM, and i currently running MAC OS X 10.3.9!

What version of MAC OS X can i use to upgrade my OS?
    I want to change OS because im having trouble in browsing the web!
    im using old versions of firefox, opera, and safari!

Will somebody give some advice!

-Jhoope(philippines)-

2. simsaladimbamba

You could go to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, but not higher, as Leopard (10.5) is not officially supported on that Mac (G4 is needed at minimum), though some could hack their installer to install 10.5 on a G3.
    Do you use the latest supported versions of your browser?
    And with what exactly do you have trouble with? If it is YouTube or similar video sites, then even a newer browser or OS won't help, as your Mac is too slow to properly utilise the Flash used there.

Btw, the font you use is hard to read and the thread title you chose is non-descriptive.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

3. jHoope thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank's

Thank you for the reply!

Video browsing just work fine, but lacks update on flash player! it can only use flash player 9.

I'm having problem dealing with Facebook to be exact! from time to time i need to delete all history or clear the private data in the browser because it will freezes if i wont delete it!

Can i ask if MAC OS X 10.4 is down-loadable with torrent or i need to purchase it which is very expensive here in my country!

Thank you again!

4. Isair macrumors member

Isair

Asking for warez is against the forum rules. If you are just using your laptop for browsing and things like that you might wanna go with iPad 2 when it comes out, iPad has a reasonable price so it shouldn't be a burden for you. Your computer is really old, although you might be able to keep it working for a while like that it really doesn't have really long to live.

5. grapemac macrumors regular

You can go up to 10.4.11.

I bought an iMac G3/600MHz I think/384MB RAM on 10.3.9 a few months ago for £10. I got a copy of 10.4 and it really made a big difference in its usability; newer version of Safari (up to the G3 version of Safari 4 - i.e. Safari 4 with added HTML things from Safari 5), newer version of iTunes (up to iTunes 9 - home sharing, so the G3 could be used for streaming due to its low storage capacity), more MobileMe features.

Unfortunately, the iMac died a couple of weeks after getting it. But it was a nice thing to play around with and take apart during that time.

6. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I can't make out what computer you have (G3 Macs went up to 900MHz), but a bigger difference to your browsing experience might be made by upgrading your RAM. My old G3 iBook 600MHz worked well on most pages including Facebook with 640MB [ie maxed out]. It might be easier for you to go to somewhere like Crucial and find the RAM you need than searching for a potentially dodgy version of OS 10.4 .

7. jHoope thread starter macrumors newbie