I need help openning a .sit file. I already downloaded the program and not working!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SethRogen, Aug 16, 2010.

1. SethRogen macrumors 6502

I just learned a few minutes ago on how to open .sit files and what program I needed to download. I did that, yet it's still not opening.

Here are the steps that I did when trying to open a .sit file:

1. I clicked this:
    [​IMG]

2. I typed in the password for the .sit file/Graphical Analysis
    [​IMG]

3. This happens.
    [​IMG]

And then nothing happens. It doesn't opens...

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

You appear to be doing everything right, so I'm not sure what could be going wrong.

Just to confirm an obvious possibility, you've checked your Downloads folder to make sure that the decompressed files aren't actually there and you're just not seeing them, right? Looks like that's not the case from your screenshot, but if you sort things in Downloads by date (like I do), decompressed files frequently have the date they were created, rather than the date they were decompressed, so they don't end up floating to the top of the list.

Otherwise the only things I can think of are that the password is wrong (but I'd think that would give an error), or the .sit you have is corrupt. If memory serves, Stuffit will happily and quietly delete the partially-decompressed files if it encounters an error and can't fully decompress them.

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I have a distant memory (which may be wrong!) that some archives specify where the contents are unarchived to - which could be a folder elsewhere on your hard drive.

If you know the name/contents of one of the files, could be worth a Spotlight search.

4. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

according to the screen shot, they're going to the "downloads" folder, so they should be somewhere in there.

5. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Often, you will see the .sit begin to decompress even though the password may be wrong.

Does the progress bar go all the way to the end or stop where you show us on the screen grab?

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Just double-checked, and if it's the current version of Stuffit Expander it gives an immediate error for a bad password and asks again, so presumably the wrong password isn't the issue.

Meaning either the archive is corrupt, and it's failing near the end (in which case maybe a redownload would help), or it's actually succeeding and you're just not seeing the decompressed folder in the Downloads folder for some reason.

If this is the chemistry class related file that comes up as the only result on a Google search for that filename, it appears that you've got the 3.12 version, where the one I found says it's 3.2--maybe redownload and try again?

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Very true. Sorry.