I need help please [Problem restoring backup]

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CooKieMoNs7eR, Jul 28, 2013.

1. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I had a power button problem with my iPhone, it's been like that for the past 2 months, I decided to take to the Apple store to replace it and before that I backed it up on iTunes and iCloud, and I made sure I did that twice, after replacing it, I connected it to iTunes and restored from backup and nothing is being restored???? the restore takes 5 seconds and the phone just restarts and nothing is on it, the backup is there on iTunes it even says the time on it which was 2:00 pm, but nothing is being backed up??? I had 6000 pictures now they're gone :( any help would be appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

See if there's an older backup.
    I had the same prob before.
    It will tell you there's a newer backup but say no and restore to the older one you have available prior to that one.

3. CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I did pick the older backup, and when it does the backup it just takes 5 seconds instead of taking like at least 45 min because I have like 6000+ pictures and 600+ songs, apps, text messages, but nothing is backing up, iCloud has like only 250 pictures and 48 songs that's about it everything else is not backing up:(:(:(

4. CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Ok I found out that the reason it's not restoring from backup correctly because when I backed up my iPhone I was on iOS 6.1, then when I got the new iPhone it was on 6.1.4 so I couldn't restore from backup, any solution to this???

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

You can restore from a back up from an earlier iOS to a later iOS. I don't know why it is not letting you.

6. CooKieMoNs7eR, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2013

CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Nope, you can't restore from an older backup, I backed up my iPhone when I was on verison 6.1, then when I tried to restore from backup, it didn't let me because my new iPhone is 6.1.4, I had 6k pictures I lost 4000 of them, iCloud only 2000 saved, I shouldve used another 3rd party program to backup my iPhone, iTunes is a pc of ****.

7. Tyler23, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2013

Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You definitely can restore a backup from an older version of iOS to a newer version of iOS. I, and many others, have down this countless times. What you CAN'T do it restore a backup from a newer version of iOS to an older version.

There is something else going wrong for you in this process. Although I don't know what it is, I do not that it has nothing to do with restoring a backup from 6.1 to 6.1.4.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is correct.
    You can restore from an older backup with no problem.
    You cannot restore from a newer backup.
    For example if the backup is created on ios 7 and you're trying to restore it to a device running 6.1.2

9. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Yes I learned this and did your exact example but luckily I had a backup on my PC the day I updated to iOS 7. Now I am on iOS 6 for the past few months.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

10. CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Ok so why didn't my restoring from backup process go through successfully?? before I replaced my iPhone I did a backup through iTunes, came back from the Apple store with a new iPhone, did a restore from back up, and it just didn't work, anyone recommend another method of backing up iPhone data?? iTunes is just not safe enough for me, 4000k pictures gone just like that :(