I need help, please :( (switching a powerpc to an intel)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lilmonkeyjoe, Apr 20, 2008.

1. lilmonkeyjoe macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm new to this forum. I am currently running Mac os x 10.4.11 Powerpc. I want to get an intel based mac. How can i switch a powerpc to an intel? I heard boot camp only works on intel and i really want windows xp on my mac :\
    Any suggestions or answers would be nice :D

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You need an intel mac to use boot camp. If you have a ppc computer, you'd need to get a new intel machine. You could try using virtual pc. but it's slower than any snail. I wouldn't even bother.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

You need to buy an Intel based computer.
    You can use iEmulator or Q Emulator. But they'll be quite slow.
    According to a little app that comes with iEmulator my 1.5Ghz PowerBook runs a little under 1Ghz when running windows. But I don't believe a word of it.

4. lilmonkeyjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

AW that sucks. Is there a way i can swtich to intel without buying a new macbook? i really want Windows xp.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Yeah. Buy a PC. Or but a Mac Mini (that's the cheapest Apple option)

There's no way to switch processors, if that's what you're thinking.

6. lilmonkeyjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

gosh that sucks. Thanks but if i get Virtual PC and just have 1 application that's an online game. Would it be tooo slow to play?

wait, so is a Mac mini intel based? so if i buy that then i can get windows xp? How much is a Mac mini?

7. bartelby macrumors Core

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

And sometimes cheaper in the Apple refurbished products store. Have a look at the Apple website if you're wondering about costs for new/refurb products.

You can also try to find a deal on eBay or craigslist, but as always, there's a risk with doing both.

9. windowpain macrumors 6502a

The older mac minis were PPC G4s. The newer ones (form Feb 2006) are the intel ones.

If you are wanting to run boot camp be sure to get the correct one.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

All Macs that you can buy from any part of the Apple store now have Intel chips, yes.

If you wish to spend less, get a refurbished Intel Mac Mini or a prior model of Intel Mac Mini.

11. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Games would be horrid in Virtual PC. Depending on the game, it may not run smoothly on a mini because the mini does not have a dedicated graphics card. What game are you trying to play? It may be cheapest to build a Windows machine.

12. lilmonkeyjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

i was planning to play maple story or rose online :\ lol.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

both those games seem to have low specs requirements...not 100% sure, but I'd think a Mac Mini would play them. I'd look at the spec a little more myself, check the "My MacBook can play this game thread" in the Apple gaming section, since you're Mac Mini would play similar games. Also, more RAM the better. :D

I'd say go for a 1.8Ghz C2D, buy some RAM from Newegg.