Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeckyMM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Ok this problem kind of occured because im a dumass, but i really need help solving it. Somehow i am a complete moron and forgot my Adimistrative username and password, no matter what i do, i cant seem to find an answer. When i read about solving this problem, they say to put in the Mac OS X installation DVD and go to the utilities folder and click on new password, but whenever i do that it asks for my username and password, Please tell me what to do!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There shouldn't be a lock to click on anywhere. You are booted from the DVD while doing this as the instructions say, right?

giomla

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
So, boot from DVD (meaning do not load into OSX). to do this, insert OSX instalation DVD, hold "C" key after starting sound until u see apple logo. Then within OSX installation, from menu choose "Reset Admin Password"...that would be it.
cheers

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think the person meant a f1rmware password.
Such password cannot be reset. So unless you remember the
user name and password which obviously you don't have, you cannot use the computer.

If you have bought it, you need to get your money back.
If you have stole it, you should turn it in to a police station.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Ah yes, the firmware password. I was thrown off by mention of having to enter a username and password instead of just the firmware password. But the part about the lock icon fits.

To the OP: Do the images/descriptions on this page look familiar?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think the person meant a f1rmware password.
Such password cannot be reset.
Not true.
So unless you remember the
user name and password which obviously you don't have, you cannot use the computer.

If you have bought it, you need to get your money back.
If you have stole it, you should turn it in to a police station.
If the user bought it, the link above will allow them to reset it.

If they stole it, the link above won't have any affect on it being unstolen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.