I need help quickly - macbook pro display blank

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Watabou, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Hey guys, I need to be at uni soon so I need help fast. I wrote a paper all night and no my macbook pro boots up but won't start the display so there isn't any way to get the paper off it.

I tried connecting it to an external Dell display but no dice. I don't think it even recognizes it.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to press to make it display on the external? And what should I do now? I'm really sad. I wrote a long essay that I had to pull an all nighter for and the laptop was working fine until this morning. :(

EDIT: It seems a lot of users have been experiencing this. My mbp is out of warranty. Apple should do this for free though right, since the nvidia graphic cards are faulty?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Your graphics card is dead; it should be under warranty if its a penryn box*

* = we've done all we can for you here on these boards; you'll have to take it to Apple for any further diagnostics

FYI you should also be able to start up in target disk mode, so if you have another mac with fw800 you may be able to retrieve your paper.

3. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well I took care of the paper issue. My professor was kind enough to wait a day for it. My macbook pro is penryn and it's good to hear that it'll be free. I made an appointment today and I will see how it goes.

I don't really have another mac or a PC with a FireWire slot.

Do you know how long they will take to repair it? This is really an inconvenient time that this had to happen. I have midterms coming up and one of them requires that I use my computer. :(