I need help.. [recovering Macbook]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dandaman78, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Dandaman78 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to recover my MacBook. I know what i need to do but when I hold command R it takes me to a screen where I have to enter a password and it shows a padlock above it. What am I supposed to enter? My computers login password doesn't work and my Apple ID password doesn't work so I have no idea what to do. Any help would be great thanks.h

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm guessing you've encrypted your HDD. If so, you'd need to enter that key.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Kudos on the thread title, OP.

Sounds like you're being asked to enter a firmware password. If you don't know it, you will need your installation disc.

Could also be a File Vault password prompt, but you didn't mention that, so that's less likely.

4. Dandaman78 thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is I haven't encrypted it and it was not installed with a disc. Firmware password?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

6. Dandaman78 thread starter macrumors newbie

What's weird is that I havent... And lithe screen it shows on that blog is definitely the one I'm seeing. It's asking for the firmware password That I never created.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Someone apparently did set your firmware password.
    If not you, then it would be someone else who uses your laptop. The firmware password can't set itself :D
    I also don't think that the firmware can be changed remotely, so it would have to be someone with physical access to your laptop.

Can you tell us what model of MacBook you have? If it is older than 2010, then you can likely reset the password yourself. If 2010 or newer, then Apple gets to do that for you.