I need help repairing late 2007 MacBook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xkushx, Jun 12, 2013.

1. xkushx, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

xkushx macrumors newbie

So heres the breakdown:

LINK TO MACBOOK MODEL SPECS:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-white-13-late-2007-santa-rosa-specs.html

My cousin gave me his old macbook cuz it doesn't work. From what he told me, it needs a new HardDrive, and dvd drive to put the operating system disc in and install it. Also I want to max out the RAM and maybe upgrade to a 500-7500gb Hard Drive. As far as the function of the laptop, when I power it on, it gets to the apple logo, then the gear spins for a while, and then the screen is just grey. When he first gave me thw laptop I powered it on and left it on for a while and I got to the log in screen, and was able to access the desktop and stuff. But now it won't even get to the log in screen. And I think i need to replace the cd drive of try to fix it, because when I try to insert any type of disc in it, it will just take it in, and then i assume try to read it, and spit it out. im mainly going to try and use it for running garageband, and maybe pro tools. Any advice on if this macbook will be able to handle audio production will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. xkushx thread starter macrumors newbie

320 VIEWS and not one ****ing reply.....WOW.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That does sound like a failing hard drive. I'd replace it with a new, larger one. Your Macbook can take up to 6GB of ram. It should be able to do audio production work without a problem.

4. xkushx thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks for the help/reply. i did replace it with a friends mb hard drive, its 120GB from my old 80gb, so its a little bigger. what type of RAM do i need and what brands can i get that are mac compatible? i know it has DDR2 RAM, but the specs say u can only up it to 4GB of RAM. in the future i want to get a 500 or 750gb hard drive.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your machine takes 200-pin PC2-5300 DDR2 SO-DIMM's running at 667MHz. It can take up to 6GB, but Apple only lists is as being 4GB.

6. xkushx thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry had another question:

i saw at OCW website a 6gb upgrade for my macbook, would this run my music production programs faster/without any stuttering or lag.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Probably not. That may be caused by your CPU or hard drive.

8. Droooooj macrumors regular

Maxing the RAM out certainly wouldn't hurt.
    And I don't know if that model can take a 7,200rpm drive, but that may help reduce stutter when recording.

But they're both things it's hard to tell if it'll work without actually doing it. It can just be down to other background processes, like wifi/network activity, or the machine being too hot. I've pointed a huge desktop fan directly over my MBP to keep it cool when using Traktor in a club, and found it stopped all the lagging I was getting.

Maybe try running your music progs and checking with Activity Monitor how much CPU usage and memory they're using, that might indicate if you actually really need a faster CPU/machine.

9. WildCard^ macrumors regular

If your HD sounds loud, it could be a bad sign or a really bad sign.

Best case, your MB is using the HD as a swap space due to low memory, and that is much slower than using pure memory with no swapping. Kush, are you only at 2GB? I would think going to 6GB would really help you a lot.

Worst bad case. if you are still using the old 120GB drive, maybe your stuttering might be due to your old hard drive starting to degrade. I have a laptop where the drive is starting to die. It sounds clickier than usual, computer locks up randomly, etc - so I backed up all the data and am planning on replacing it when I get a moment.

Back it up, test your drive for bad sectors, upgrade your RAM to 6GB, see how it runs. If not good, it's time to upgrade.