I need help, running out of HD space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptainCaveMann, Oct 1, 2007.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok heres the deal, I have a ibook with a 40gb hard drive and I have about 3 more gigs left of space. I also have a 250 gig external mybook hard drive that is pretty much empty. I only have 3 gigs of music on my computer and no movies. I dont understand why all my space is almost gone. How can I free up hard drive space? Without taking all my music off my laptop? I dont have any games or huge programs on my laptop aside from Microsoft office but thats it. I am however running two users on this comp, switching back n forth but the other user has nothing more than me on there side. So I dont get whats taking up all the space. Someone please help because I want to free up space on my laptop, Im starting to feel like i might have to buy a new comp (which I really dont want to do)... :confused:

2. Serge N Gin macrumors member

Serge N Gin

You could download WhatSize and use it to see where all your HD space has gone.

I know for example, an app like GarageBand uses quite a lot of HD space and if you remove it, there's always the option to reinstall it later ... with Pacifist or following Apples advice here.

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Try downloading and running WhatSize. It will tell you how the space on your computer is allocated, and where.

Edit: Doh! Too late.

4. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok I just downloaded it and now I'm gonna run it and report the results. One sec.... (jeopardy music)

5. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

users 18.1gb
    apps 6.32gb
    library 5.4gb
    system 1.62gb
    private 1.1gb
    usr 412mb
    bin 4.31mb
    mach-kernal 4.15mb
    sbin 2.35mb
    mach-sym 592kb

and so on, it keeps getting smaller from that point on. Why is there so much space taken up under users?

6. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i'm assuming you clicked on the arrow to see what is actually contributing to the size of your users folder... what is the largest other than your music?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

pr0n?

That is not a question that any of us can answer for you.. you've got to look and see. ;)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You might try looking at what's in there. ;) I'm really surprised that WhatSize misspelt mach_kernel.

If you've got GarageBand loaded and don't use it, you can save a lot of room by removing the application and its library files.

9. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

you can also save a lot of room by deleting drivers in the /library/printers folder.. just remove all manufacturers other than your current printer