I need Help setting up my MBP's new SSD with OSX Lion!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johann1228, Feb 13, 2012.

1. johann1228 macrumors newbie

I just ordered 8GB RAM and a 160GB Intel 320 Series SSD for my 2010 Macbook Pro 13" and a USB SATA Enclosure.

I plan to make my current 250GB Hitachi HDD into an external HD for old files with the enclosure.

I want some help with the following things:

(a) How to install OSX Lion on my new SSD with either a USB, DVD, or my current HD (I don't want to clone so it'll be "clean" nor do I want to use the AppStore download because of slow and intermittent internet)

(b) How to turn my current drive (soon-to-be "old") into a back-up drive (Like a flash drive, without the OS files, since I won't be booting up from it anymore)

(c) What tweaks would be good at optimizing my Macbook Pro's performance? Like disabling spotlight indexing and disabling dashboard? Which programs I can live without like Garageband and X11 and how to remove them?

-Johann :apple:

comics sans ms ftw HAHA!

2. simsaladimbamba

Z) Please use a normal, standard font, as Comic Sans is an ugly font, which makes it harder to read and looks like the 1990s.

a) You can create a Lion Installation USB flash memory thumb drive via
    the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant.
    Some additional information: OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

b) Do you want to keep the files on the old HDD on the HDD or can you wipe the HDD?

c) No need to disable Spotlight or the Dashboard, unless Dashboard normally uses more than these resources:
    [​IMG]

3. johann1228 thread starter macrumors newbie

Z) I know it looks bad, just used it coz I was bored, sorry. :)

A) Thanks, I'll make that Bootable USB Installer

B) I plan to just move documents, pictures, and music while they very easily fit into my 160GB drive. Eventually I'll have to migrate them back into the "back-up HDD" when they get old and when I need more of my 160GB for more current files.

SO YES, after I move the files that I want to keep back into my SSD, I can wipe the HDD. I just need to format it into Mac OS Extended (Journalized) and it'll be like work like a USB flash drive?

C) Okay, yeah, seems like I could leave it on.

I'll go through each of those sites you sent now. Thanks. :eek: