I need help tethering my iPhone to my win7 machine

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by steve knight, Apr 30, 2013.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I got the phone connected to my computer but it says no Internet connection. Cable is down and I need to download a few files

2. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Did you turn on hotspot in settings, create a wifi password, click on your iphone network in win7, enter password?

Tried a reboot of win7 after setting up the hotspot network?

Do you have sufficient data on your mobile account?

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

it was strange it was easy to get the win7 machine connected but it would not access the internet. I turned off my airport extreme and then I had internet access. so even though win7 showed no internet on the Ethernet connection it would not jump over to the tethered connection. I need the airport to network to my other computer so it would be nice to get around that. I wonder if a usb connection would be better? I did not have a lighting connector at the time.
    but was a nice save got the files from the emails and was able to work.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The theory is simple. Your Win machine is still going through the normal WIFI to get to the Internet, it doesn't know the connection to the outside is down.

When u enable tethering, do you tell the Win machine to start talking to a new hotspot? You may have to refresh your IP AFTER you have connected to the phone.