Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I'd like to buy a secondary 1TB hdd to replace the CD drive on my Unibody Macbook,
the boot disk is an SSD. Because the original hdd my Macbook came with was a Toshiba and of good quality, I'd like to buy again a Toshiba, and I'd choose the following from Amazon, ASIN: B0151KMB9G
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0151KMB9G/

But I do not know if it is the best choice, I dont really understand all these terms:
Buffer Size: 8 MB,
L200
Some people talk about much larger buffer/cache sizes and it really confuses me.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I'd like to buy a secondary 1TB hdd to replace the CD drive on my Unibody Macbook,
the boot disk is an SSD. Because the original hdd my Macbook came with was a Toshiba and of good quality, I'd like to buy again a Toshiba, and I'd choose the following from Amazon, ASIN: B0151KMB9G
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0151KMB9G/

But I do not know if it is the best choice, I dont really understand all these terms:
Buffer Size: 8 MB,
L200
Some people talk about much larger buffer/cache sizes and it really confuses me.

A hard drive is much of a muchness between them all in that form factor. speed is far more important, so as long as it's a 7200rpm drive over a 5400rpm drive you get better speed but the 5400 will use less power and will be quieter it's always a trade off.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Why not just add a SECOND SSD?
Costs a little more, but you'll not regret the speeds.

Granted a 1tb SSD is on the pricey side yet.
Could you be satisfied with 480-512gb instead?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
To the OP, there are a few nice 1tb drives you could use. You may want to investigate the latest trend - hybrid drives. Seagate and Western Digital (along with others) have 1tb size 2.5" drives.

As for the 8mb buffer you mentioned, some call it a cache. The question is how is is it being used (read or write or both).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.