I need help to get rid of an icon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jazojas12, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

So I just got my mac yesterday, downloaded firefox because that's what I used on windows. Anytime I run FF though this icon pops up on the desktop and I can't get it to stay off. I took a picture of it..it's the icon below Mac HD and when I click it it just shows the window open. How do I get rid of this? Thanks

[​IMG]

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You haven't installed Firefox properly. Look here for help.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

It's because you didn't copy the Firefox application to the Applications folder, so you are running it from the disk image, which mounts every time.

On your image, see that window, it's telling you want to do, drag that big Firefox icon over the big folder icon. This will copy Firefox to you Applications folder.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Have you dragged Firefos to your Applications folder? If so, just eject the disk image icon below the HD. Right click and Eject.

5. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

From what I understand, you downloaded Firefox, but you never copied it to the Applications folder. Therefore, whenever you are clicking on "Firefox", it is mounting the disk image (i.e. icon below Macintosh HD), and then it opens the window prompting you to save Firefox to Applications folder.

In the window, you need to drag the Firefox icon to the Applications folder.

Then launch Firefox from your Applications.

EDIT: I guess I was too late to press the "Post" button.... oh well!

6. Jazojas12 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I did drag it in there and it added it to the apps folder. But whenever I run FF from the dock that thing shows up.

7. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Did you copy the application into your Applications folder or are you running it from the disk image? If it is the latter, you must copy it from the disk image to your Applications folder to install it.

8. swiftaw, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014

swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The dock is probably an alias to the wrong location.

Drag the firefoc icon off the dock, it'll disappear.

Now, go to your applications folder, and double-click Firefox to open it.

Now, go to the Firefox icon that has appeared in the dock, right click on it and select Keep in Dock

9. Jazojas12 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok great. I got it. Thanks guys. It was just the wrong alias. When I originally downloaded FF I ran it from the disk image. Then when I installed it in the applications it never replaced it in the dock. Now I know ha. Thanks again :D

10. Bander macrumors newbie

This helps a ton!!

I had the same problem. It was driving me nuckin' futz!