I need help with a display resolution issue with an older MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by firlrumors, Oct 11, 2011.

1. firlrumors macrumors newbie

Hello, I just purchased a 24", 1920x1080 screen (a iiyama 24" LCD - ProLite E2409HDS-B1 ) and strangley, I can't get higher res than 1600x900 :( on an old Macbook 2.1 (Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz - 64Mo VRAM Intel GMA 950) not too familiar with all that. it looks blurry and disappointing in terms of sharpness. Kind of sucks no? http://i.imgur.com/DbtSh.png

I've just seen here http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.0-white-13-late-2007-santa-rosa-specs.html that the graphics chip on this Macbook should support 1920x1080. So I don't understant :/
    Should I install updates? (been honestly looking for recent drivers for hours without success).
    Does anyone know what's wrong?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

What connection are you using? You should be using DVI...

3. firlrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

I was sold a female mini DVI / HDMI adaptor for the Macbook, not an Apple one, this one exactly.

4. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

You may need an HDMI to DVI cable, then use a genuine Apple DVI to Mini-DVI adapter for your Mac.

[​IMG]

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You should be using DVI. Does your monitor accept a DVI input? You can use Apple's official mini-DVI to DVI adaptor, I'm using one I bought off Monoprice.com and it's perfect. I also have a DVI cable from there. I'm running a 1920x1080 monitor as we speak with this setup. I imagine it's the mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor that's tripping you up.

Also, taking a screenshot won't show us how blurry it is. It looks blurry because you're looking at a lower than native resolution on the screen, but the Mac is sending a good signal. So when you take a screenshot, it looks perfectly fine to everyone else.

6. nicklad, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

nicklad macrumors 6502

As others have said, this is because you're using the wrong adapter. You need a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter or a cable that goes straight from Mini-DVI to DVI.

7. firlrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok so is this a common issue? I will try with the adaptor you advice and would let you know if it helps. Thanx.