I need help with an iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Amkolaniak, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Amkolaniak macrumors newbie

So I got a ibook g4 mid-2005 a1133 and I can't find the correct install disc I know I need the 10.4.2. Is there anyway that I can get a digital copy of it to put on a USB stick? I'm not that computer savy so it needs to be dumb down a bit

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Buying an install disk via the net is going to be a risky process because all disks are labeled "iBook G4" and half of the sellers on online sites don't know what they are talking about. I would contact AppleCare and ask to purchase disks. They normally run for a modest price and are much less than hunting down retail copies of the OS. There is no way anyone on here would advocate to get a digital copy and restore it to a USB as Tiger was never released digitally so it would be piracy through any "free" source. Apple may also be able to provide a copy of Leopard instead depending on stock and the representative you speak to.

3. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

You can contact AppleCare, explain to them your situation, and they will send you Leopard install disks.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Also when contacting AppleCare they should not charge you for a support instance if all you want to do is buy disks.

5. Amkolaniak thread starter macrumors newbie

I called AppleCare and well the lady I talked to was no help at all she wasn't to bright either just kept telling me the same thing over again. I need the install and restore disc.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, and you can then say:
    There's a simple answer to that question. It will be either Yes, or No.

7. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Sometimes if you get a nice person, they give them to you for free.

8. Amkolaniak thread starter macrumors newbie

9. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Good luck.

10. DavidBarnos macrumors newbie

Contact Apple Care and splain what is happening. This happened to me with my iMac G5 Power PC Processor 1 GBs ram

11. RedCroissant, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

RedCroissant Suspended

It's not ideal to do it this way, but that iBook will accept a 10.4.1 install disk and complete the install even though it won't be perfect. The trackpad probably won't be recognized, but it will still work and then you can update it from there no problem. I did this with the same model iBook that you are trying to do it with (sorry for sounding dirty) and with the 14" 1.42GHz model.

I would recommend having a bluetooth mouse or keyboard connected to it or really any mouse or keyboard just in case the keyboard isn't recognized either.

This way, you don't have to look on ebay for anything relating to the exact installation disc and you can save money by simply purchasing the 10.4.1 disc that people think is not as valuable as a fully updated disc. The updates are still available and you can always download the 10.4.11 combo update and storer it on your HDD or an external for easier access in case you ever have to reinstall the OS or if you need to use it for different machines.

That's what I did and I have the combo updates from every OS download and stored on an external HDD right now. It's makes updating so much faster.