I need help with MBP issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lucky3killer, Jan 6, 2008.

1. lucky3killer macrumors regular

I have MBP with Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz (Santa Rosa), 2GB RAM and stock 120GB HDD (5400 RPM).

At first, I started boot on MBP, it took about under 30 second to boot up, wait until about several week later then my boot up has increased to 1 min, I just like what's wrong with my MBP, the boot up time is getting slower than first time and increased to 1 min right now. I just verified with SMART and said HDD is ok, tried to permission for repair and boot up again, still same result.

How I can fix this longer boot up issue? I don't installed alot of apps, just only google earth, adium and firefox, that all since other rest are Apple based apps (Safari, iChat, iTune, Quicktime and others).

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Look in System Preferences...->Accounts->[your account]->Login Items and see what's there. The more login items that are there, the longer it will take to boot.

System->Library->StartupItems and Library->StartupItems might also contain files that run at boot time.

It all depends on what you've added and what options you've set.

Also, be sure you actually shut down instead of pressing and holding the power button to shut it off.

3. lucky3killer thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, my issue was solved after formatted the hard drive and install the clean Leopard then my boot up is goes back to normal, just roughly 30 seconds.

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Yep that would do it.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, that's one way to fix it, but an additional 30 seconds per boot, given that you likely won't be booting it that often, seems pretty minor compared to a complete reinstall of the the OS (my MBP is rebooted less than once a week). ;)

6. lucky3killer thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I used to replaced the WD 250 GB HDD in MacBook Pro and found it was clicking so often and took verified on SMART at first time then took verified again and said it will be fail, I was worried then check all consumer's review on newegg then I just like wow and decided to replaced back to stock 120GB HDD then returned defective HDD to store for exchanged into external HDD via USB, FireWire and eSATA.

It's very painful to open the MBP at twice or more, just gave me a bad headache.

I would wonders if Apple will still void the warranty if new hard drive was replaced and used then replaced back to stock HDD?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It all depends on how well you did. If it's clear the case was opened, they might not service it under warranty.

8. lucky3killer thread starter macrumors regular

You means if case were opened at once then they will not service under warranty?

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If it is obvious, then they might not service it under warranty.

If it's not obvious, or if they don't see any damage, they likely will. Just don't do a sloppy job when opening/closing it. :)

10. lucky3killer thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I got it, thanks...

I just open the MBP so carefully.