Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Canton, Mi.
I recently added my hotmail account to my iPhone, it is not the free version, I pay for it, I found some instructions on how to add it to my phone and I did, the problems I have are, what kind of account is it? Pop3 for example, and why can't I get my junk mail folder, sometimes I get legit emails accidently sent to there, can someone walk me through the process of putting it on the phone to make sure I'm doing it right? Thanks!

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Try this and good Luck

First you have to have a paid Hotmail Plus account:

Account Information:
Name: John Smith (note: enter your own name)
Address: example@hotmail.com (note: enter your full Hotmail email address)
Description: Hotmail

Incoming Mail Server:
Host Name: pop3.live.com
User Name: example@hotmail.com (note: enter your full Hotmail email address)
Password: password (note: enter your Hotmail password)

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):
Host Name: smtp.live.com
User Name: example@hotmail.com (note: enter your full Hotmail email address)
Password: password (note: enter your Hotmail password)

Advanced Settings:
Incoming Uses SSL: On
Outgoing Uses SSL: On
Authentication: Password
Delete from Server: When removed from Inbox (or your preferred option)

Then if folders do not show:

Go to your hotmail page. Click on Windows Live(upper left).

Click on windows live home page.
On upper right hand side you should be able to click on windows live for mobile.
Click on windows live hotmail(get you mail on the go).

You should be able to go from there. Once you set up you will receive a text message with a link on your iphone. Once I clicked on the link I was able to save it to my home page on my phone.

If that fails, then my recommendation would be to use izymail.com (this is what I use now) or open a free Gmail account which I have also done and am in the process of converting all of my msn to Gmail.

Good Luck

ikare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Canton, Mi.
well, I do pay for my account, and according to your email, I did do everything right, thank you so much for verifying that, my only problem is how can I get my junk mail folder??

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I do not use the direct POP3 method that you use. I prefer the IMAP route so went with izymail.com and all of my folders are showing just fine.

Do your other folders show and if you create a new one, does it populate?

I wish I had a better answer and after the research I did to assist you, you could have been a little more open minded instead of being so snippy for not being able to be exact in my reply.

Wish you the best of luck in your search

ikare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Canton, Mi.
sorry, I wasn't being snippy, but it's hard to really express yourself by writing, but nope, I can't get any other folders, but I like that izy idea, thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.