I need help with my Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ru4ez2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ru4ez2 macrumors newbie

I have a iMac w/ Tiger and wanting to get a new one or a mbp 17 in w/4gb and new 9600 graphics ,should i go mbp or new Imac?

ru4ez2

2. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

it really depends on what you plan on using it for. If you need portability get the MBP. If you dont mind being confined to a desk get another iMac. Based on what you have told me I cannot tell you what you need but I would recommend a 24" iMac. Both for price and power.

3. ru4ez2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I need help with my Imac

I use the tiger Imac which is a 2.16 ghz dual core,and now they have a 2.9 mbp with dual graphics,longer battery life,or 3.0 I Mac and add 2 mb of ram to get 4mb for easier running of all programs? Mostly using for work items and photos,maybe play around with garageband,no expert stuff right maybe some photo editing? Plus isn't snow leopard coming out soon? i will be down 2 software upgrades then,so if i get a mbp can i use the software to update my existing IMac to it? kinda new with mac products.

4. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

From the sounds of things your current iMac will do everything you want to do. You just need to upgrade your software. You can buy the Mac Box Set which includes Leopard, iLife 09 and iwork 09.

5. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I agree with LouisBlack. Your current iMac is powerful enough to handle Leopard and the various activities you've described. The Box Set is perfect for you.

If you haven't already, get some extra RAM for your iMac from a reliable third-party retailer such as Crucial.com, and you'll be set.

No. The install discs that come with each Mac are specific to that model, and will not work on other models. Thus, upgrading your current machine to Leopard is the more cost-effective route.