I need help with my Mac powerbook g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Yehosef, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Yehosef macrumors newbie

Yehosef

Hello Im new to this forum because I just got my Mac powerbook G4 and Im kinda Lost =/

I also have a VAIO with Windows xP and I been using it for years so I know everything about it and now that i have this Mac laptop I feel weird using it because im not use to it and dont know how to find anything
    but the thing that im most confused in is when I downloaded an .exe file for the first time It told me that it was unable to open it and that I need to choose an application to open it with
    So it took me to the application folder and i clicked on utility and choosed Installer and a pop up said INSTALLER UNABLE TO OPEN FILE.
    at that time I didtnt know that Mac cant open .exe files.
    my question is

if i donwload a file that mac can open will the installer be able to open for example American's army game i read that it works for Mac

I also dont know where to change background since i dont have RIGHT CLICK in windows xP you just right click and click on Options.

I have to play around with it more till i get used to it xD

I still think Mac is the best just hard to get used to it.

Do any of you know a guide that tells you how to do simple stuff on a Mac Powerbook 4?

Thanks.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

exe are windows executable files you can not run them in OS X. Since you have a G4 processor you will not be able to install windows, unless you used a program like Virtual PC.

When looking for OS X software look for the dmg files.

3. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

if i donwload a file that mac can open will the installer be able to open for example American's army game i read that it works for Mac

.Exe can't be opened since that's the files that windows use to launch an application. Mac OS X being based on another kind of architecture, use his own executer. So Mac can't launch or open Windows apps. period. You'll need the Mac version of this game to played. Also look for the PCC version, since G3, G4, G5 processor can't launch Intel Macs apps.

I also dont know where to change background since i dont have RIGHT CLICK in windows xP you just right click and click on Options.

You can active the right click option into the preferences pane. When it'll be done, you'll just have to right click and change the background like windows.

Do any of you know a guide that tells you how to do simple stuff on a Mac Powerbook 4?

Just look around google, there's many Mac OS X guides you can find.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Perhaps these links can get you in right direction:

Switch 101

Mac 101

You'll get the hang of it in no time. And remember, you can always come back here for help and advise.

5. Yehosef thread starter macrumors newbie

Yehosef

6. Yehosef thread starter macrumors newbie

Yehosef

I need help with my Mac powerbook g4

Hello I just bought a [Mac Powerbook G4] and I still cant figure out how to install programs =/

I donwload American's Army and it comes as .dmg file it appears on my desktop and file says
    Americansarmy250Macos1.dmg.download and when i double click it, it downloads another file and i have to wait again

I also dont understand how to install a file i've read guides but i dont get it

anyone that plays American's army cant tell me how to install the game or any program =/

I have a

Mac OS X 12"
    Version 10.4.11
    Processor-867 MHz PowerPC G4
    Memory 128 MB DDr SDRAM

Anyone tell me how to install programs depending on the Mac I got.

thank you for taking your time.

7. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

Well when its downloading in the box that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Then click the magnifying glass that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Then it should highlight the Item where ever it is on your computer:
    [​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------
    If its a DMG like yours right now it should mount already but it may look like this for you:
    [​IMG]
    Then then disk image should look similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    And it will look kinda like this on your desktop:
    [​IMG]
    :D

8. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Apple's site has lots about switching to Mac

BTW you should upgrade your RAM to at least 512MB

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

10.4 is painful on 128 MB, get at least 256 MB, or 512 MB. 1 GB if you can.