I need help with my new Airport Extreme...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

I had a Thomson (who?) modem/router, which I got from the phone company here. It wasnt working that great, so I decided to order a Netgear modem and an Apple Airport Extreme. I got the Netgear modem to get me on the web, and the ethernet connection light stayed on, but when I connect it to my AE, that ethernet light goes off and the AE is constantly blinking. I reset the modem, and still nothing. I then reset the AE, and still the same thing. And when I try to connect my MB and iMac wirelessly to the AE, it tells me there are no apple devices present, and to retry. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does the Airport Utility see anything? The base station needs to be configured...

Utilities -> Airport Utility

3. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am a little confused...do I need something else, aside from the Netgear modem and Airport Extreme? I thought I just had to connect my AE to the Netgear modem, then set it up through my MB or iMac, no?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All you need is your modem and the airport (which functions as a router).

You do need to set the Airport up using the Airport Utility, which is software included with your Mac in the Utilities folder. From what you posted earlier you have not run the software setup, which is probably your problem.

5. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I set up the software on my MB, but nothing happened. I followed the PDF guide that was on the CD, and while it didnt say to install the CD, I still did it.

6. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what I get (which is after I installed the CD on my iMac):

Attached Files:

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Connect the Airport Extreme to your Mac via ethernet then try rescanning. It should come up in Airport Utility eventually.

8. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried that also, and got nothing. Can I do that without connecting the modem to the AE, just to see if it connects?

9. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

It sounds like the Airport Extreme was configured before you got it. The light on the AE should stay solid green, when connected out of the box. You have to make a change in the utility menu to have it flash.'

Also, just to verify, do you have Airport turned on in the Mac's?
    System preferences > network > Airport > "turned on" or "turned off"

If those are all true, then try the physical reset :
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3728

10. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still nothing. I did the reset, with the AE connected via ethernet cable, but I am getting that same message I posted earlier. I installed the software from the CD as well, but it just wont recognize the AE, and the AE is constantly flashing. Does the modem have to be connected to the AE in order for my MB to connect to the AE because I tried both ways, and neither worked. Do I possibly have a bad AE?

11. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried hooking it up to my existing Thomson modem/router, just to see if anything would happen, and I still got the flashing light. Anyone have any suggestions?

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

13. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

It does sound like you have a bad AE...

BUT... before you go to Apple.

Are you able to take it over to a friends/family's house and have them attempt to connect to it?

This would take your computer out of the equation and also introduce a new internet source.

14. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am going to try that. The problem with taking it to Apple is that I would have to go back to the States to do that lol. If anything, I will give it to my mom when she goes to visit in April, and she can take it to the apple store in Boca Raton.