I need help with my volume

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Venderious, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Venderious macrumors member

Venderious

So basically I have my macbook pro retina hooked up via USB to a DJ MIDI Controller, I've got all the drivers installed correctly and stuff. But there's a problem. It plays music through my DJ Controller to my monitors just fine, but the point is I can't control the volume because it has no ''output controls'' or something.. There's an O with a slash through it when I try to adjust it, the music is just deafening now. Please help me...........

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

This usually happens when the audio is redirected to an external output that is not apple made, basically anything that isn't connected through the 3.5 mm jack (other than a thunderbolt display).

There should be an external volume control on your external output source right? That is your only option for controlling the volume other than using the volume adjuster in the specific application that you're using.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

4. Venderious thread starter macrumors member

Venderious

I tried but it doesn't do anythinggg

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Doesn't your interface have a volume knob? Whenever you plug in a digital audio interface/card/optical cable, you'll have no control over volume. The signal is digital, it's a bunch of 0's and 1's, you can't control the volume on that.

You'll need to use the volume knob on whatever you're sending the audio into. If that doesn't work, that hardware is likely faulty.

6. Venderious thread starter macrumors member

Venderious

I've got a DJ controller. I just hopped from Windows to MAC. I basically use Traktor DJ whenever I mix. Normally when I'd quit the program for DJing, the controller kept working - so I could play music via youtube through my speakers.
    And just control the volume overall with the volume keys. Now that I'm on MAC, the DJ program works fine and I can control the master with a knob, but as soon as I quit the DJ program - It plays music through youtube and iTunes just fine, the only thing is it won't allow me to adjust the volume in any way.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sounds like you need to have your Traktor DJ software running to control the DJ interface.
    Likely just one more difference between how you use your Mac, compared to Windows.

8. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Not sure if you got your answer, but if you post the make and model of the controller and the software you are using, I'm sure I can diagnose the issue. It usually comes down to system settings audio, or software system preferences. Anything outside of that is going to be something broken, or a user error that makes us feel stupid when we find out what it is.

9. Venderious thread starter macrumors member

Venderious

Traktor DJ 2.6.2
    Along with a Pioneer DDJ Ergo V. It appears in the sound settings in MAC, It works as sound but it says ''This has no output thing'' - I do get sound just the volume that has to be changed.

10. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I'm still not sure what you mean, sorry. I have discovered that there is a volume knob on the rear of the unit. I don't have one of these, so I looked it up for you. At first, I was thinking you may have to assign volume to a rotary dial, but as I am getting into this, it would make sense that you couldn't control the volume on the face of a DJ controller. I've done almost everything in music, EXCEPT DJing so I'm reaching a little on this one.

I've gotten the "this has no output" message on many devices, so I don't think that is related. If you are successfully playing into speakers, the outs are working. To adjust the volume, it appears as though the only way to do so is the knob at the rear.

Let me know if that helps. I'll help where I can, as I am not familiar with the DJ world, but I assume it's not far from everything else.

11. Venderious thread starter macrumors member

Venderious

As with most low-end DJ Controllers, everything is mapped. So every button has no purpose outside of a program. This means that outside the program nothing works. - The knob at the rear seems to not function either. I hope there's a solution for it but otherwise I just have to adjust the volume inside youtube and spotify manually. I've set the speakers max volume to a reasonable level where it's not defeaning or wakes up the whole block. You can also see this a something positive as where there's no way I can go beyond the advised decibel levels.. The volumes are fine. But still I hope to manually control the volume somehow.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you're using powered monitors you could probably use a Schiit Audio SYS between your DJ apparatus and your speakers. 100% passive, no power supply.

http://schiit.com/products/sys

13. Venderious thread starter macrumors member

Venderious

Barely got money now as you'd expect. But this will definitely be an option for me in the future!