Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tombarnes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Surrey, United Kingdom
I recently had a complete system clear out by erasing my mac and starting with a fresh copy of mac os x. I then loaded only the things i needed back on. I have been experiencing 2 problems since having my clearout...

1. When safari opens a new window it is cascaded (i want a new window to be opened directly over the originating window) I have tried resizing over and over again but it still keep going back to it's old ways!; (Picture 1)

2. Everytime I open thing like adium, safari, and a few other things that have saved passwords, it asks me for a keychain log-in, which completely defeats the object of having passwords saved! (Picture 2).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Tom

Picture2.png

Picture1-1.png

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I've seen this happen when you reset an account password. Did you wipe the drive completely?

Did you copy programmes and the ~/Library directory back on?

As I understand it, it is a syncronisation issue between the login- and keychain- passwords.

tombarnes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Surrey, United Kingdom
I've seen this happen when you reset an account password. Did you wipe the drive completely?

Did you copy programmes and the ~/Library directory back on?

As I understand it, it is a syncronisation issue between the login- and keychain- passwords.

I completely wiped my mac. I used a backup facility called ibackup to keep all my bookmarks, email accounts etc. It may have copied ~/Library in order to preserve my passwords for all my safari log-ins - I don't really know to be honest.

What can I do to stop this annoying problem?

EDIT: If i changed my system administrator password to what it was on my 'old' system, would that resolve the issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.