I need help with short cut keys...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nelenar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Nelenar macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to Macs and I just got a MacBook Pro... (note: please ignore the ellipsis.. it is a habit instead of periods on forums...)... When I use Word I very commonly use symbols like: âäëïöüû (to name a few); and I have previously (on Vista and XP) customized Word to have shortcut keys for these symbols: (I'll show the Mac form of the desired shortcut keys.. and I am willing to remove any shortcut that also has these shortcut keys) â = "Option/Command + a", ä = "Control + a", ë = "Control + e", ï = "Control + i" etc... I have tried setting the symbols as such on Word by doing "Keyboard Shortcut..." on the symbols window, but if I try using them after I set them.. they never seem to work... Either it just will do 'a'/'e' or whatever.. or if it was supposed to be another command instead it just does that command... I would like these shortcuts for all of Word if possible... If you can help.. thanks...

2. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Not sure why you're having trouble modifying the shortcuts... but Macs have a native system for accented letters.

A list can be found here: http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codemac.html#accent

It'll take a little getting used to, but I think it's rather intuitive and you'll get used to it quickly.

As a recent mac switcher myself, the best advice I can give you is not to bring your windows preferences along with you--it just makes the switch tougher, and holds you back from experiencing the mac's full potential.

3. Nelenar thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is that it's not so much changing from "Windows shortcuts" to "Mac shortcuts".. but rather that I can't change/alter any shortcut keys on my Mac and have them stay that way... As I said before, after I try and set a new keystroke for a symbol or even something like "italics," either it acts as though I never set the key stroke and puts the normal letter.. or does whatever might have been the command previously assigned to the keys... Another problem is that even if I do get the shortcuts working I can only get it to work on one document, but I need it for all documents...

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Command + I prints italic; Option + I types ˆ

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg