i need help with the fans speed.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by BlindSoul, Sep 11, 2010.

1. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Hello.

I got a Mac Mini 2010. And i can see sometimes it's getting to 73C And the Fans Speed is staying 1800rpm~.
    And i've been trying to use smfFanControl , I was editing the default fan speed on the preferences but it keeps being 1800rpm... Does anyone can tell me how it works? and how's the great way to change my fans speed?
    Since i was trying to use iStat but it costs money and it's very hard to use too.

Thank you.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

73C is normal when the computer is under heavy load. I wouldn't hassle with SmcFanControl, especially if you can't get it to work

3. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

But still, can anyone tell me how it works?
    Since i found another thread here in MacRumors and people said it's too much...

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I found this tutorial but some people just can't get it to work, dunno why. You could try resetting SMC and PRAM and then trying again

5. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried it, It's still on 1800... Should i try doing a restart?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, try restarting. Then try PRAM and SMC reset

7. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

9. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

10. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much hellhammer, the reset things helped and now SMFfancontrol works great. I changed the Fan speed to 3200rpm and it's now on 50C Instead of 60C [ for browsing the internet only ].
    But can you please explain me why it's not good changing the fan speed?

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's not not good, but most of the time the hardware takes care of itself, thus no fan speed control is really required, unless you don't like to see the temperatures. As the Mac mini is a computer you rarely touch, 60° or 70° C are okay temperatures to work with. The CPU inside is built to withstand 105° C or more anyways.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

First of all, it's not needed, the hardware can take care of itself. Using 3rd party apps to do this may always cause issues though it's unlikely. I'm using SmcFanControl as we speak and have used for over a year without a single issue.

The P8600 which is used in 2010 Mac Mini has T Junction of 105° C, that's the temperature when it will should be shut down to avoid damage

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks for that info. :)

14. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh i see.
    Then it's basically good for these who use Laptops and don't want their keyboard to be hot?

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, it's mainly for laptop users. Of course less heat means longer lifespan as heat is never good for components, that's why I use it.

16. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Unless your ripping movies constantly or something that's taxing your system to get the heat up, you really don't need to adjust your fans. The mini is made to get warm. Do you have your mini in a tight space where it's not getting good flow of air to keep it cool?

17. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really, It's near my monitor screen. I just think it's very hot in my country now so yeah i guess it affect him too.

18. Drago89 macrumors member

hm

I wonder if putting the PSU inside the mini was a good decision by apple.I mean probably that could make the mini fans spins faster.I know that the mini is not a power hog computer, but still ... i saw the new mini few days ago and it's very very small.I have the previous generation and and while it's mini the new one is mini mini :p Still can't understand how apple fit all the compunents in that small piece of aluminium.

19. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

As time goes on, components shrink such as the chip size, etc.. Intel has been working on graphics in the processor for awhile making them more powerful. Don't think they will ever match a dedicated one though. The mini is your very basic computer. Not much power. Apple could make it one by making it bigger, putting a i5 processor and a dedicated gpu in it but that would rob sales from the iMac. Would make one heck of a gaming platform.