Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
If I buy a Verizon phone -paid in full- from Best Buy, can I also use it on GSM plans -ATT etc as well? Or would I need an unlock? Is the reverse true as well? Buy an ATT paid in full I can then use for Verizon or whatever? I have tried to research all this but still am unsure how it all works. I guess my question is- which phone that I pay for in full- can be used on other providers as well without a professional unlock. Thank you

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your limitation is the radios of the phone you ultimately buy and where you ultimately intend to use it.

Some facts:

• Due to an agreement with the FCC, whether you pay full price or not ALL Verizon LTE-capable phones are unlocked out of the box
• You must submit an unlock request to AT&T, even if you've paid full price for the phone as AT&T phones do NOT come unlocked

Verizon is CDMA and AT&T is GSM, but that matters less in regards to LTE. So, determining which phone will work best where based on their advertised radio bands is your real issue.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
So which phone should I buy? Is Apple sim free the only one that really has all the bands for any carrier? I am currenting on Att, but would like the option to switch if I want. If I buy an Att phone on ebay paid in full, does Att have to unlock when I request? Thank you

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So which phone should I buy?
I cannot help you do the research. I am not and never have been an AT&T or Verizon customer. I am just relaying facts as they have been stated here on MacRumors.

Is Apple sim free the only one that really has all the bands for any carrier?
Without getting technical, yes. And it comes automatically unlocked and whitelisted on all four carriers. If this is an option for you I'd take it over anything else.
I am currenting on Att, but would like the option to switch if I want. If I buy an Att phone on ebay paid in full, does Att have to unlock when I request? Thank you
That's a loaded question…if you are buying used and pay the full price but the customer who has the financial obligation to AT&T has NOT then you might be in for some trouble. Like all the carriers, AT&T is not obligated to unlock a phone that has money owed on it - even if you are not the original buyer.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Although you didn't say so, I'm assuming you're talking about buying either an iPhone 6S or an iPhone 6S Plus, right?

In the US, there are two versions of the 6S. They differ only in the presence or absence of LTE Band 30, which is used by AT&T.
The AT&T version of the iPhone 6S, and the SIM-free version of the iPhone 6S are the same model: A1633 (A1634 for the 6S Plus). Ideally, that's the one you want.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Yes 6s plus...A1634, okay thank you . Is that the sim free model Apple sells? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.