I need help with used watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 4haydyl, Jan 19, 2016.

1. 4haydyl macrumors newbie

hi everyone, I purchased a used watch and the prior owner reset the watch but forgot to unlink it from his iCloud account. The seller is being difficult to get a hold of and I wanted to know if there were any way to get the watch to work without him unlinking it. The watch is not stolen since the AppleCare name matches his. Any thoughts? Otherwise I guess I can sell it for parts. Thanks.

2. nicho macrumors 68000

No way to unlock it without him.

Perhaps consider involving the police, depending on where you are in the world.

3. dooku77 macrumors member

dooku77

You have to call  and start a case. If you have the purchase receipt or anything stating you purchased the watch, it has to be sent to a special Dept. After a few days they will unlock the watch for you.

4. 4haydyl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help.

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

At the root, this an Apple software defect. They effectively created a product that an owner cannot intuitively tell if it is able to be passed on to someone else. And, if it is sold or given to someone else, it is not easy for the original owner to correct the problem. The more consumers push Apple on this, the more likely Apple is to fix it.

In its current state, the AW used market is not viable. I plan to sell my watch when AW 2 arrives, so I hope this defect is not in the way.

6. dooku77 macrumors member

dooku77

To effectively sell an apple product the original owner needs to log into iCloud>settings>devices. Once there click the little x to delete the item. Then it is unattached to anyone. It's so much easier than selling an android phone that has to be wiped, encrypted, wiped again and hopefully the phone isn't financed and flagged.

7. nicho macrumors 68000

the question is, did it work? i'd be interested to see if apple have changed their approach to allow this, now - i can't find any evidence on the internet thus far

8. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Well I mean all you do is disable activation lock and reset the watch. Right?

9. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Thanks for the tip.

I never thought to check, but there it is, available in the Settings app on my iPhone. I'd post a screenshot, but all sorts of info is there.

OP, contact the seller if you can. It'll take less than a minute for them to do what dooku77 posted.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Exactly, not sure why some people think that's too hard.

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

It isn't very hard to do - unless you can't contact the original owner to do that easy unlock task.
    If the new owner has a locked AW, the new owner can't unlock it without help.
    If one can't contact the first owner, then the process gets a little more involved...

12. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

More importantly, would you know how to tell by looking at a watch that the previous owner did it correctly? Would you buy a used AW today? I wouldn't.