I need help....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Melancart, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Melancart macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!
    This is my first post and I just need a bit of advise.
    I currently have an older 13" Macbook. I've had it for about 3.5 years. So I think it's time for a new Mac. I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to specs and whatnot. I also currently got into photography & editing, and I'm a moderate gamer. With that being said, my current Mac just isn't cutting it. I'm wanting to purchase one of the new 15" MacBook Pro. I just want to know would it be better to get the MBP with 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm or the 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm.
    I don't want my Mac to be slowed down my editing or my gaming. If this question doesn't make any sense I'm sorry. LOL.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The 7200 RPM hard drive will have faster seek times, but they can sometimes be slightly noiser.

3. darknite38 macrumors regular

General rule is that if you don't know the difference between a 5200 and a 7200, you're better off saving some cash and sticking with the 5200 rpm.

You say you're a moderate gamer, could you explain what games you play?
    Solitaire?
    Left For Dead?
    Crysis?

4. Melancart thread starter macrumors newbie

I play Sims 3 and WoW, nothing too hardcore. But I just notice that when I play sometimes, my Mac lags and it disrupts the gameplay.

5. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

6. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

for your needs not that big of a difference....but $100 over a $1799+ purchase is not a great amount