I Need Inexpensive HD Camcorder with Pass-Through

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by majordude, Dec 30, 2007.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I am sort of partial to Sony but I've seen some nice JVC cameras too.

I am looking for an inexpensive HD camcorder. I think I'd prefer one with a hard drive versus tape or DVD (let me know if that's a dumb idea).

Thanks!

2. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

From my research, MiniDV tapes are proven to work more consistently, although I have no experience with DVD or HD based cams.

3. scamateur macrumors member

I don't think any such thing exists - if you mean pass-through of an HD signal. The media industry doesn't want you to make HD recordings except through the lens of your camera.

Most "serious" video-people use tape, still. (This has been discussed extensively on this forum.)

Good luck! I hope someone else knows of the right camera for you.

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Tape is certainly the way to go.

If you're talking about passthrough for editing (firewire to camera, camera to monitor for preview), it's not really going to work. HDV needs rendering to conform the video to its GOP.

5. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Ah, just to clarify, I want to convert VHS tape (RCA outputs) to digital (in iMovie or something). I also have an old Hi8 (I think) that I would like to capture on my Mac.

I was told that the $200 Elgato EyeTV will work but I figure that $200 may be 30-50% halfway to a real camera.

I'm surprised to hear that tape is better than a camera with hard drive. Shows what I know.

6. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

As none of those formats are HD, it would be unnecessarily expensive to purchase and HD camera for this.

There are boxes you can buy that have RCA video/audio inputs that connect to your computer via firewire that will allow you to capture analog video as if you were doing it from a DV camera.

I like the Canopus ADVC boxes the best. This ADVC110 is pretty great, but the ADVC55 may be all you need.