I need instant help PLZ!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, Nov 30, 2007.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

hello all. i kinda messed up my osx by trying to illegally get frontrow to work. i insalled it and then i used front row enabler to enable it. however it never worked and now i got some serious problems:
    i cant go to mouse&keyboards menu getting this error msg: the application system preferencies closed unexpectedly.....
    i cant use any of the hotkeys for volume up/down and worst, i cant use command+eject button to open my cd driver.
    i tried the disk utility but for some reason the "repair disk" button is disabled and i cant click it. i verified disk and heres what i got:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    %)
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    Volume Header needs minor repair
    The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair
    it couldnt finish because if the above error.... i dont know even how to install the whole os again because im not able to open my cd driver and put a cd on it? plz plz plz plz plz help im desperate

2. unknown.exe macrumors member

unknown.exe

DONT WORRY!!! All you need to do is back up your important stuff onto disks or flash-drives(like docs, pics, payed for programs and any other important stuff. After that, just reinstall mac OS X. That will clear up the problem and you just need to put your stuff back onto the computer. You say you can't open ur disk drive? All you have to do is hold down the left mouse key. This will open up the cd drive for mac-books and eject cd's on desktop macs. It will take less then 2 hours.:apple:

3. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

hey thnx for the info. although this left click thingie didnt work i did a funny thing: i opened my disk tray trough itunes! lol
    anyway i didnt need to backup anything since i used installs disks to repair my macosx and now work smoothly again :)
    apple is too sure that their software wont crash, so they never made an external button to open disc tray on macpro. well they never thought that a stupid guy like me could ruin the whole system heh

4. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

this exact thing happened to me and i did the same thing. glad you fixed it :)