Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
"you should reconsider staying in business"?......wow thanks for the tip Bill Gates. I was just seeing what other artists might think of my ideas. You know , maybe a little constructive criticism. This was not meant to get to in depth about business etc. My business is based on health & fitness, not my logo. Of course it helps to set the right "image" but people come to me to be trained not get graphic design done. I have a huge network of friends/clients and my business will do just fine with or without a logo, so I don't think I'll "reconsider staying in business". Thanks though...

...so now back to the logo for anyone else that cares or is bored...:)

Wow, you don't need to get testy. You ask for opinions and I gave you a professional one... and you threw it back in my face. I was only trying to tell you that if your brand is important enough, then it's worth investing for the long term. Obviously you are more interested in the immediate needs of your business and so I don't know why you even bothered to come on here to get advice for your (terrible) logo. Oh... I know why!! You're trying to get FREE advice instead of paying for a professional to help you!

Good luck with your business. I hope that the level of service you provide isn't reflected in your brand.

puttputt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Michigan
The best design ideas come after throwing out many initial ideas. I think you did a fair job on your first attempt, but yes, this is way too close to the Van Halen logo. Sex, drugs and rock 'n roll isn't a connotation you want attached to your fitness business.

I respectfully suggest that you toss that idea.

One poster suggested a more natural and free-form, flowing theme. I initially like that thought, but I think you want something STRONG.

Maybe try using a heavy sans serif font for a big "VF" - maybe italic or slanted a bit. Add the words Vitality Fitness below or next to the VF. Just keep it SIMPLE and I think it will meet your needs.

Good luck in your business.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Wow, you don't need to get testy. You ask for opinions and I gave you a professional one... and you threw it back in my face. I was only trying to tell you that if your brand is important enough, then it's worth investing for the long term. Obviously you are more interested in the immediate needs of your business and so I don't know why you even bothered to come on here to get advice for your (terrible) logo. Oh... I know why!! You're trying to get FREE advice instead of paying for a professional to help you!

Good luck with your business. I hope that the level of service you provide isn't reflected in your brand.

I thought you had a good answer, and he did ask for honest advice but I am guessing it wasn't the answer he expected/wanted.

During my career in design I've found business owners who design their own logos (professionally trained or not) the logo becomes about them and not about the business. There's no objectivity, good or bad they love the logo and thinks it's god's gift to the ages and can never really understand why people criticize the design, colour choice, type, etc...

They tend look through it via the "personal glasses" not the "business glasses", I always pose the question "if you saw that brand would you know what they do and furthermore want to access their products/services?"

The realist always comes back with a good answer :cool:

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
One problem is people often do not value design, nor see the importance that design can have, so people often end up in the type of situation we have here, where design is seen as an after thought rather than a key factor when setting up a business.

Not to sound harsh but you can't just do everything else and then expect to quickly throw together a logo one afternoon.

This video illustrates the power of design: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHuH8P_Vqc0

As for your logo... start in black and white and stick to something very simple (even if it's helvetica or gill sans). A nice, clean and simple design/layout is far more important than trying to do something a bit flash and failing. The more flash to try to be, the more likely it is to not work. It would be harder to recover from a bad design. Later you can hire a professional designer to create your brand.

Anyway, here's something I done as an example:

VitalityFitness1.jpg

VitalityFitness2.jpg

VitalityFitness3.jpg

VitalityFitness4.jpg

paddyhazard

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2010
London
Topher15, i like the 3rd one down, I'd put the writing a bit larger and play around with some different colours. Lighter grey and a lime/bluey green might look good. Depends who the target market are obviously though, yours would cater well to the more masculine gym as opposed to 25-40 year olds looking to get fit of the very large female market.

I think that that is one major factor that separated professionals from 'letting your cousin/friend/next door neighbour' who did art or knows how to use illustrator. A professional goes though development process and critiques it against the target market. An amateur would design something that they like and not develop it. Sometimes they stumble upon a good concept, i have seen some great ideas from 'non-designers', they just need that extra time developing them to be perfect.

Also, always throw away your first concept. It's usually too indicative of your personality and you get you get attached to it and put your blinkers on.

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
Wow, you don't need to get testy. You ask for opinions and I gave you a professional one...

FWIW, you were right in your initial post. OP should simply use a nice clean wordmark until he/she has the time and budget to approach a professional about a true identity. In reality the branding should have been considered in the earlier planning stages, but as is the case with life, sometimes things don't happen in order.

Regardless, you come off really harsh sometimes..

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Who cares about the logo. It's only your first impression. I bet your clients aren't worried about aesthetics anyways.

Aliana

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
Hi! Solution for your design problems

If you want a logo to start your business, for instance it is ok to have a simple one, friend-made type. When your business starts to grow, you can rebrand it. For a nice looking logo i think that you should go to an agency (quality) or at a crowdsourcing platform (quality +diversity). I know many design platforms and i can give you some exemples to google and see how it works: crowdspring, palkoo, designcrowd, 99designs, logo tournament etc.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Topher ... nice job, you have some talent.

OP ... this one Topher did for you should work well to get some Cards done and get your name out there.

Re-Branding can come later ... Good luck.

Attachments

• VitalityFitness3.jpg
    VitalityFitness3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 86

MarkHarrisonUK

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
If aren't able to raise the money to develop your brand, then you should reconsider staying in business.

I'm not a graphic designer, and will gladly defer to your design knowledge.

I am, however, a serial entrepreneur who was able to retire (for the first time) in his early 30s, so like to think I know something about startup companies.

In the early days of a startup, branding and graphic design of the logo MIGHT be important. (For some of my companies, we've hired in the best we could find, and it's been worth it.)

However, for other companies, it makes no difference whatsoever. (I still have a company out there which generates me about $120k a year, and the logo for that company is still the website name in black Arial on white.)

I don't know enough about the personal fitness market in his region, and the kind of market position that Vitality Fitness is trying to take, to be able to determine which sort of market the OP is in.

Your business advice is that he should consider shutting up shop because he doesn't want to spend on a graphics designer at this stage.

With my "business hat" on, I will offer the OP some different advice...

... when you in startup mode, get all you possibly can for free. Beg, borrow, post, smile politely, grovel, tell people how much you really appreciate them... but don't actually part with a dime until you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO.

... frankly, I'd far rather invest in the kind of company that is able to get a logo designed for free by asking around, than in one whose immediate response to all problems is to throw money at consultants.

Topher, you have done a cracking job. Karma to you for being willing to help someone in that stage in the business cycle.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.