I need luggage

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Big D 51, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I am looking for a nice carry on and a nice business looking computer bag. I currently use a Swiss Gear computer bag, but it doesn't look too business like.

I wish I could find a matching set. I would even purchase a complete set if I could find a decent one. I am not to sure what is a good brand. Should I get soft or hard case? I am not looking to spend a ton of money since the bags can get lost.

Any advice?

Thanks

2. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

3. samiwas Suspended

All I can say is do NOT get Kenneth Cole Reaction.

My job has required extensive travel for many years. When I was on tour for 7 years, I was moving every week via plane, train, taxi, boat...whatever. I had the same bag for 8 years and it barely had any issues. When the airlines changed their size requirements by ONE INCH a couple of years ago, I had to get a new bag. My wife and I both bought Kenneth Cole Reaction bags. Within two trips, both of them had nearly fallen apart. Blech.

My TravelPro bag is still going now after about 12 years and has no issues whatsoever.

4. Svend macrumors member

Briggs and Riley. They have fantastic products and a lifetime warranty. If you have to travel often, you will have your bags broken at some point. Briggs and Riley will fix it free, no problems. Great products.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/

5. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Exactly the information I needed. Thanks for the replies.

6. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Before all the replies, the travel pro was actually the bags I am looking at:

http://www.luggageonline.com/product.cfm?product_ID=15329#productratings

http://www.luggageonline.com/product.cfm?product_ID=15334

The only concern I have as of now is that I don't see a large bag made by TravelPro. Only the carry on's and computer cases. :confused: I would like for the all to match. Computer bag, carry on, and larger bag if needed.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

L.L. Bean and 5.11 Tactical make the best luggage.

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

9. mgerst101 macrumors newbie

Travelpro does have multiple sizes of luggage. Check out their website http://www.travelpro.com . They have 24, 26, 28" in all our their collections: Platinum, Crew and WalkAbout Lite.

10. Love macrumors 68000

Love

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm a fan of Samsonite and have a number of their cases in different sizes, and a laptop bag; I travel a lot and writing from experience, I can say that the cases they make are pretty sturdy, can put up with a fair bit of wear and tear and last for years. Moreover, as a company, they are pretty good for honouring guarantees and warranties.

Cheers

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

Samsonite.

Get luggage from a luggage company, not a designer. Nobody cares what you look like at the airport, or what designer bag you are throwing up onto a filthy conveyor belt that's going to get battered.

13. joec1101 macrumors 6502

TravelPro..can't go wrong with it.

Most airline personnel use them as well and they hold up very well.

14. bgd macrumors regular

15. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Update

I ended up purchasing a Travelpro Crew 8 22" Expandable Rollaboard Suiter.

There were a lot of good suggestions thanks to you all, but some were out of the price range that I was wanting to spend.

I used it for the first time this past weekend. The expandable suiter part was nice and it did help keep my coat from getting a lot of wrinkles. The bag is light and rolls easily. I was gone for 2 nights and I was able to fit everything in there including gym cloths as well.

The only thing that I dislike about the luggage is I wish it had 4 wheels now. I have a swiss army computer bag that I used as well. To keep from carrying it on my back, I set the computer bag on top of carry on and pulled it. Well after pulling them both through the Houston airport, my arms began to get tired. I was having to rotate back in forth between arms. I will admit, my computer bag had a lot of stuff in it as well which is what made it so heavy. It would have been nice to be able to sit the carry on bag upright, and just wish it through the airport. Maybe I'm just lazy :cool:

I hope this helps someone else. Thanks for all the replies and input.

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz