I need me a new router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gsfgf, Jan 24, 2008.

1. gsfgf macrumors member

I have always gotten the $50-$70 linksys routers, but they all seem to wear out or something after about a year. (Can a router really wear out? It doesn't have moving parts) My current one drops connections all the time and it takes multiple resets to get an ip address. When i plug my powermac into the wall it gets an IP immediately. So I guess I need a new router.

Should I get an Airport? They are way more expensive than a linksys and I did have a bad experience with a Graphite Airport(never worked with 10.1). However, if the airport will last a few years instead of 6-12 months, It would be worth it. I assume that the airport is superior quality to a linksys, but is it cost effective to get a nice router that costs over twice what a linksys costs? Do y'all ever have problems using an airport with a DHCP internet connection. I just got a macbook, so I doubt I would be upgrading to a new 802.11 standard any time soon, plus 802.11n should be fast enough for any internet I can get.

Thanks for any advice!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Bear in mind that an airport base does not have a dsl bridge (modem) included, so you'd need that separately.

Personally, I've always found Linksys to be better than the average for budget routers, and I wouldn't expect anything else in that kinda price range to be that much better. If you're prepared to spend a little more, however, I can recommend both Intertex and Draytek.