I need more speed Scotty!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac Defender, May 3, 2007.

1. Mac Defender macrumors newbie

Hello,

Not new to Mac but not all familiar with the inner workings of these delightful machines. I recently picked up a nasty WOW (world of warcraft) habit and finding the lag a bit unsettling. I have an iMac G5 (no intel processor) and get some lag when i'm in some of the more detailed environments. I have upgraded my memory stick to...I want to say 1gb from 512 (not sure there) and I just bought another stick hoping that it helps the lag caused by the game. Buying the first stick seemed to help the first time so i'd thought I would try the repeat approach. Anything else I can do to make my machine go faster? Am I going the wrong way here?

Please techs use small words and speak slowly.

-MD
    "The scariest thing in my opinion, a rogue nature chimp after your banana."

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you aren't sure of the amount of RAM in your computer, go to the blue Apple menu (in the upper-left corner) and select "About This Mac."

Keep in mind, your iMac only has two RAM slots, so if you've already filled both slots (and it sounds like you have), then you'll need to remove one stick before you can add another.

Besides adding more RAM (which is always good), you can't do much else besides adjusting the settings in the game.

3. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I canno' change the laws of physics!

Anyway, in addition to upgrading your RAM, may I recommend a little app called GameLauncher. It closes anything that is not needed while playing the game, including Finder, the Dock, and Dashboard, so that the maximum amount of RAM possible can be used for the game. It's not a huge speed boost, but it is worth the pricetag ($0.00).

4. Mac Defender thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice re-quote u one upped me!

I'll try the software out. Possible stupid question alert: Does the software allow me to run other applications during game play? Or would I have to disable the sofware to run apps like safari, itunes, etc.

And what does God need with a starship??

MD