i need my airport express wired!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Icarus73, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Icarus73 macrumors regular

So I'm moving in with my brother. He said "buy a router for our computers. old roommate is taking his."

so, i bought an airport express. serves my needs, wireless printing and airtunes will be nice.

he freaked out because he can't use it to connect his xbox to the internet now. he refuses to be switching any cables around to play it, so now i must fix the problem for him.

is there like an ethernet splitter i can buy to get internet to both airport and his xbox? do i need a 2nd router?

i REALLY don't want to spend much money at all, but i dont really know what i need for this. hopefully not an entire new router.

2. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

you just need to get a 3/5 port ethernet router. your internet cable plugs into the switch and has "X" amount of ports going out. you plug one into the xbox and the other into the express.

3. PLin macrumors 6502

The Airport Express only has one ethernet port, so if you use it as a router for your DSL/cable modem, then all of the devices must be wireless, which means that you would need to get the wireless adapter for the xbox.

Buying a switch won't work, because the Airport Express won't be handing out IP addresses using its ethernet port.

Sounds like you need to buy a router that has multiple ethernet ports, which is the usual configuration anyway.

4. Icarus73 thread starter macrumors regular

5. kalex macrumors 65816

That 4 port router will work fine. you can use it for hardwired stuff like xbox and you will also need to plug in your airport express in there in order to use wireless devices. I think you are limited to 10 wireless devices that will run off express.

6. accrane macrumors member

will the express work if its plugged into a router? Will it be slower even if no other ethernet lines on the router are in use?

7. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

yes, it will run. IIRC, it will run slower if you have the other lines in use.

8. vetech2000 macrumors newbie

Just so I am comprehending...

Following the above advice with the router, can I do the same thing with my roomates PC?

Her wireless just died without reason after it was working fine on the Airport Express. Now I would like to keep mine wireless & hers hard-lined.

Thanks

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you mean getting a router and plugging both her PC and your Express into it, then yes it will. You should try putting the Express in bridge mode so that the router hands out all the IP addresses. This will make sure that both computers are on the same subnet so you can network them and share resources between them.