i need opinions and answers with this long question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by emir, Jan 16, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hello everyone, please bother reading, i need your opinions and answers on this one.

I am 18 now and at the end of this year i will start to college(university actually:)) I will probably leave the house for university and i need a notebook. i am a pc user since windows 95, i used to play games etc... when i was a child so i am really used to Windows.

On the other hand i know how Apple's product's are awesome, i have used ipod touch for a year, classic ipod for 2-3 years and now iPhone 3g for 15 months. I am an Apple enthusiast. i want to buy an Apple notebook because they look awesome, i haven't used it but they say it is awesome on action too and we all know the features and why we should prefer a mac over pc, so i am not going to tell more about "why" i am getting a mac. before continuing on with questions i am going to write my current system specs so you can answer my questions knowing my situation;

-Intel Core2Duo E6850 3.00Ghz processor
    -Nivdia geforece 880gts 320 mb
    -2 GB DDR-2 RAM
    -2 hard drives one 164 and one 64 GB(that's what windows is telling me)
    -ASUS p5k-se motherboard and one DVD-RW
    -Windows Vista home premium 32-bit

So here comes question number one;

- Which Macbook or macbook pro should i get? my current system is written on top, i need at least the performance i am getting on my current desktop(i am pleased with current performance of my desktop, but it the new one shouldn't be less than this), i will mostly be watching movies, listening to music, browsing the web and maybe play some games if i feel like it. I will definitely be boot-camping with Windows XP because i love aviation and i need to install flight simulator to my computer with all the fancy add-ons. besides that both of my hard drives are almost full, so i need space. My current desktop pc has a 17 inch SAMSUNG LCD monitor. I want to get a Macbook because of budget problems but 13.3 inches are small. macbook pro 15 or 17 inch is awesome but again too expensive. i have never looked at a mac or a macbook pro judging which one suits for me so i don't know if i can get used to 13.3 inch or maybe Apple's 13.3 inch screen can make me happy. and here comes a problem.

Thing is i am not a resident of the USA, i live in Turkey. Apple seems to have Turkey on the web page and they are selling iphone's officially by carriers but on the computer side they are only giving it to a distributor. That distributer really sucks. They can't give care or warranty like Apple do(they say they do), they sell Macs extremely expensive. for example Macbook Pro is 1700$ on Apple Us, but Bilkom(name of the distributor) sells the same item in Turkey for 4670 Turkish liras (3000 $ approximately) with less support. That is a huge problem, i am thinking of getting one on ebay or telling some friend or a relative going to usa for some reason to bring one. if i get one from us it will have no support at all? and i dont know if i can use it here fully functional. i am confused about this issue, please help with any solution or ideas :( because i want this to be cheap as possible but best as possible, i mean latest model because this will probably be the mac i use for the next 4-5 years.

question number two: i have never used a laptop before, i always used desktops and pc combination, now all will change from pc+desktop to mac+laptop, can i keep pace with it? would it be a problem, i mean using as efficiently.

this is a long post as you can see, i need your opinions because i am deeply on confusion with these issues. i think i covered everything on my head but i still do feel like i had some more question. i hope you read this and answer me. thanks to every and each one of you for your ideas, answers or opinion. Thank you and sincerely;

Emir

ps: i am planning to get one on summer of '10, when the high school is over. there may be updates too.

2. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

You can buy any MBP you want...13inch would be fine for all the uses you listed + bootcamp gaming...but as you want bigger screen size then go for base 15inch and upgrade the hdd if you want later...
    or you can also buy a 13inch and connect a 24inch extra display with it...that ways you'll have the portability as well as the big screen experience...

You can order it from US...it will be alot cheaper here...and if you buy applecare you'll have worldwide support(i suppose...not sure) ...

A mac will easily last 4-5 years provided you take care of it...some people on this forums still use their powerbooks which are older than 5 years!

And yes there are rumors for updates in 10 days...the new ones will come with better processors ( i5 ) and there may also be price reductions...

good luck!

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's hard to answer this now given that it is all but guaranteed the line will be updated by say June. I'm not sure what the policy is in terms of Apple's EDU discounts in Turkey; but, I'd look into it. Remember that processor speed is not everything and that a lot of other things will affect the speed of the computer.

Remember about taxes and what not, I'm not sure how bad the service is in Turkey – I do know that Apple is trying to work on the international service centers, etc.

You will just have to learn, it's not too hard. Plenty do it on here.

4. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

There shouldn't be any problem, most people pick it up right away. If the form factor is problem, they have external displays and peripherals for you, and if using OS X so suddenly is a problem, boot camp is there.

5. mcruzader macrumors regular

If and whenever you come closer to your purchase date you can always become a member of bongous.com. You will be able to ship your Apple computer to them and they will forward the mac to your address in Turkey.

6. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

so 13.3 inch macbook would be inadequate for the things i am going to do?

7. sweex macrumors member

I bought my MBP in the states when I was on holiday there. I ordered it by internet and shipped it to the hotel, I got the student discount and also bought the apple care programme. Apple Care is Apple's own warranty so if you have a problem you can call them and they will fix your problem normally.
    And for your display "problem", I have a 13inch too, and mostly doing the same things as you do, music, movies and a bit of gaming and I think it really is perfect for me. Of course I'd prefer a 30" HD display but it's too expensive and a 15" or 17" MBP isn't portable enough for me. Besides the 13"display is really grate and if you want you can buy an adaptor and put your samsung display on it .
    I'll try to keep this MBP during my studies perhaps with a bit of upgrading sometimes. (Except if I win the lottery then I'll buy a i7 iMac!!! :D )
    I'd recommend you to buy a 13" MacBook Pro, maybe upgrade it with your needs, for me it was the ideal money-specs rate. Besides normally when you will buy your MB a newer version will be out there.
    Just my opinion...

8. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

how did it came to your hotel? you gave your room number or something :) besides apple online store doesn't accept international credit cards. you changed your credit card's billing address to your hotel's address?

13 inch sound reasonable as you just said i can hook it with my 17 inch samsung whenever i am home. thing is buying it. you say upgrade it but i can't even buy it because i am not in states. a plane ticket there costs 2 grand :) so going on a holiday there is an expensive dream for me right now. i have a friend, a student in miami, if she comes back here on summer time she will bring one with her but there is a possibility she won't if she finds a job there. you said upgrade it but how can i go to an apple store and upgrade it even when i can't go to buy one :)

if i get a mbp i think i would get 15 inch because there arent huge price differences between 13 and 15 mbp as i recall(i may be wrong) it is at least 6 months till i get one, maybe there will be an update on mbp's, but i am just keeping it safe, i will figure a plan to buy at least a month before so i can be ready when summer comes. my final exam(i will take 3) to qualify for university is on 26th of june.

by the way i am still open for all your opinions to get one. thank you

9. sweex macrumors member

I just went to the reception saying that their was a package to arrive at my name. And I don't remember having any problem with my credit-card.
    And by upgrading it I mean that you should at least get 4GB of RAM, and hoping that your friend will come back and get you one...

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Honestly for everything except the gaming a 13" MB or MBP will come close to the performance of your current desktop. However to match that GeForce 8800GT in gaming performance you would need the 2.8Ghz MBP with the 9600M 512MB.

Personally I go for the 13" Macbook for portable use. Then a good gaming desktop for games and a lot of writing. In this scenario you can keep the laptop for 5+ years while replacing the much cheaper gaming machine every 1 1/2 to 2 years.

Since you already have a good gaming desktop you can just get the 13" Macbook and not worry about a new laptop for quite a while. For games you can upgrade the GPU and RAM on the desktop in a year from now.

When you eventually tire of the games you can just buy laptops from then on.

Some people think the 9400's gaming performance is just fine. If you are one who cares you know there is a big difference between having shaders, textures and objects on high quality and some anti-aliasing versus nearly everything on low or medium settings.

As for hard drive performance unless you get a 7200RPM drive that 5400 in some models will seem slow.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you want something that's better than your current desktop, you'll need a maxed out 15" or 17" MacBook Pro (because only the maxed out MBP has a CPU that's as good); otherwise the mid-range 15" or base 17" will offer a GPU of equal caliber and a slightly less if not equal CPU.